Diving Bali November 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eventr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We're experienced divers that have never been to Bali. We're hoping to dive at least 3 times during our trip Nov 14 - Dec 1 2014.

Weather / Viz / Silt: We've read mixed info about the impact of rain and cool water temps mid-late November. (We're from Florida, USA so we're not worried about humidity.)

Does the rain cause much trouble with diving and other island activities that time of year?

In November, is getting to dive sites problematic and does the viz drops precipitously because of rain. Are there sites to avoid this time of year?

Transport to Dive Sites: We are also surfers and into temples, art and ceremonial Bali. Should we split our stay among a number of cites to accommodate diving? Or, day trip on dive days?

We read on scubaboard that many boats are based in Pandangbai, Candidasa and Amipura area. If we stay on that side, how long would it take to get to Tulamemben, Gillis and Nusa Pendida? How long does it take to get all the way to Pulau Menjangan?

If we stayed in a more central area (like Ubud, for example) how much additional time does that add to ground travel?

How much longer from the southern coast/peninsula?

Thank you, thank you!!

I would split your stay... I would be to stay in Ubud and explore and do temples etc. Great culture experience. Then go to places on coast to dive. Driving in Bali is crazy and it takes a long time to get anywhere. Tulamben is quiet and has amazing muck diving. More Nudibranchs then I can count. The wreck is great but if you don't get there early there are a million people on it!

It depends on your dive tastes and what you want to see while diving. I just got back from staying on Nusa Lembongan (diving Nusa Pendida) but we didn't like it much. I would stay in Cadidasa/ Pandangbai and dive lembongan if I did it again. Because the boats in Lembongan are restricted by the tide we didn't get to dive sites until much later and there were already a ton of boats on the sites which were probably from the mainland. Lembongan itself is quite unique. Kind of a young persons hostel type of place. Lots of unique piercing and hair colors! Great place for people watching but a little low on the comfort scale. I have gotten quite spoiled in my old age! I am really not that old but it made me feel a little old.

Two weeks is a great amount of time for Bali.

I would look into booking a "dive safari" with one of the reputable dive companies for 4-5 days. They will then sort out your accommodation, travel to sites, gear etc etc and you will get to see a good cross section of what underwater Bali has to offer.

Then as suggested by Cali spend a few nights in Ubud to soak in the culture and then look at a few nights at a beach resort (I'd recommend Uluwata area or Nusa Dua if you want a big 5 star joint) to chill and relax and soak in the sun.

As for travel times, it takes 3-5++ hours to get from Kuta - Tulamben depending on traffic. Traffic is often very bad and it takes ages to get anywhere. So try not travel too much.

Nov should still be a good dive season for Bali, but there will be rains for sure.
You should start emailing dive centers for information.

I agree w/ comments above. Ubud/Tulamben are my fave destinations.
Padangbai is quite nice and convenient (but only for diving). Uluwatu/Jimbaran/Seminyak have amazing seacliff views and lots of fancy restaurants.
Gili Trawangan used to have white pristine beaches, unfortunately that's no more the case when I went back in Aug.

I heard great things about Menjangan & Lembongan, but I've never been there.
I'd go to Ubud first to relax after 15-20 hours flight. Plenty of time to explore all the dive spots. There are so many good choices, I am sure you will have good times in Bali.

hey

even im going to bali in november although in the first week. ive been researching where/what diving to do. i think im going for a 3 dive day / 7 dive package with bali scuba. one day in tulamben, one day in padangbay and one in nusa pendida. they organise the accomodation and transport to and from from dive place, airport lunch, gear hire etc all inclusive on half board basis. i can forward you email offer if you want!!

what i wanted to know from people was recommendations for where to stay. they suggested staying in sanur however my research showed its a boring place and not a nice beach. since im travelling alone id like stay in a place with a nice beach so i can chill by the beach/pool when im not diving and meet some people. any recommendations on such hotels with a medium budget??

any other advice welcome too.

they suggested staying in sanur however my research showed its a boring place and not a nice beach. since im travelling alone id like stay in a place with a nice beach so i can chill by the beach/pool when im not diving and meet some people. .

Not sure where you have been reading up about Sanur, but it is NOT boring neither does it not have a nice beach. Sanur has lots to offer with shops, restaurants and hotels to suit all budgets. The beachfront walk is over 4km long Beachfront Walk - Lonely Planet

As Bali Scuba are based in Sanur it makes sense to stay close by, rather than have long pick up's each morning. I'm sure that your dive centre could also suggest places to stay if you give them your daily room budget.

You will not have any problems finding people to bond with in Sanur.

Great place for people watching but a little low on the comfort scale.
i'm quite surprized with that statement, you should have tried Indiana Kenanga with private pool villas and french chef. I don't think any Padang Bai or Candi Dasa accom can match. There are plenty of high/mid market range bungalows to chose from which I wouldn't say it's uncomfortable : Pondok Baruna Frangipani, TigerLilly, etc.

As for the diving inconvenience, probably you've been unlucky with a low tide at Jungut Batu exactly on departure time. Otherwise Lembongan dive boats are often the first on premises and whenever they feel the conditions are not good anough they will change the spot something most of the boats from Bali having committed on specific divespots won't do. If you want to dive Toyapakeh, Mangroves, SD and see gorgeous corals with morning viisbility instead of queueing at Manta bay or Crystal bay, you'd be better off with (some of the) Lembongan operations.

---------- Post added October 15th, 2014 at 09:46 PM ----------

Not sure where you have been reading up about Sanur, but it is NOT boring neither does it not have a nice beach
Personnally I would concur that Sanur is absolutely boring.
I'd rather stay a few nights in Kuta than stay a night more in Sanur, this is SO NOT Bali. At least Kuta have their lousy partiers, wannabe surfers... while I felt walking at night in Sanur was so dreadful... it's the place where all the european midrange family vacationers go, a kind of Costa Brava or Algarve in the sun...

---------- Post added October 15th, 2014 at 09:54 PM ----------

I would look into booking a "dive safari" with one of the reputable dive companies for 4-5 days.
Thats where my mileage varies, Al.
Firstly I don't like gettiing regimented every moment in my day, with the same people around, because that's what most safaris are like : organized like a tour bus. On the contrary in Tulamben for isntance I can go diving anytime I want anywhere with my private guide.
Secondly, I am a big believer that the very local guides are the best to find the most interesting critters, a guy from Tulamben diving his reef 7 days a week knows intimately the whereabouts of the critters, unlike the one who are diving one week in Menjangan, the other week in Amed and the third week in Lembongan. I could even notice the difference between local guides in Tulamben and local guides in Amed, which are only 20km distant. they don't know the neighboring places as much as they know theirs.

Luko, I completely agree with what you said above, but for some people who just want to get in and see the highlights of what Bali has to offer in a shorter period of time, and dont want the hassle of organising it all, then a safari type deal is not a bad option. I've never been on one of these safaris but when I chatted to the operators at the Singapore dive expo (yes i know they will tell you anything there to sell a week safari!!) they said that the groups are usually small AND can even be private and are suited to your taste.

The op did say they want to go "diving 3 times" in two weeks, so from this it sounds like diving is not the priority for the holiday therefore my suggestion on the safari.

For accommodation, it depends on your goals & itinerary. Personally, I think Ubud is the best overall. You get some 'proper' nightlife, temples, arts, markets, cafes, and the most important is Ubud is the center of Bali. If you only do diving, I'd recommend you to stay in Amed for diving in Northern Bali or Kuta/Sanur for Southern Bali diving. Usually I spend some nights in Kuta, then Ubud (for culture), then Amed (for diving & lazy days)

For diving in Tulamben (wreck) & around, I recommend you to visit Adventure Divers. Ask them for early morning at additional cost (around 6ish) wreck dive to avoid crowd & amazing sunrise.

Rain & water waste affects some of dive sites near shore. I did USAT Liberty last July & it wasn't really good although minimal rain. I think it won't affect sites far from shore, tho (never did Nusa Penida).

For transportation, there's a number of public transportation (Perama & Ekajaya) around Bali. They have Ubud-Candidasa-Tirtagangga-Amed route twice (or so) a day. You have to get a boat to Gilis from Amed or Padangbai. If you depart from Amed, book your ticket early b/c there's only one operator serves Amed. Check this web for boat to Gilis: www.gilibookings.com

Of course, you can minimize the cost by traveling via Lombok, but it's not worth the hassle & time.

Not sure where you have been reading up about Sanur, but it is NOT boring neither does it not have a nice beach. Sanur has lots to offer with shops, restaurants and hotels to suit all budgets. The beachfront walk is over 4km long Beachfront Walk - Lonely Planet

As Bali Scuba are based in Sanur it makes sense to stay close by, rather than have long pick up's each morning. I'm sure that your dive centre could also suggest places to stay if you give them your daily room budget.

You will not have any problems finding people to bond with in Sanur.

since you've spent 5 years in bali, id take your word for it. however could you recommend a good hotel with a nice beach and pool so i can laze around the beach/pool while im not diving. hows the night life in sanur? or is kuta a long drive away? thanks!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom