Advise needed for Sangakali, Kakaban, Maratua dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Evan Soon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
I am looking for some advise on a budget dive trip for Sangalaki area.
Are there still no resorts in Sangalaki island as I was reading tripadvisor and it seems that a few have stayed there.

Since Derawan is like 1 and half hours or so from the Sangalaki it would make a big hassle to go to the dive sites, so i am looking for some alternatives.

I would think most of my budget would go to the transportation from Kuala Lumpur to the islands. Anyone have any advise on the cheapest method to reach the islands?

Also, I would estimate the total cost to be about $2k or slightly short of 2k for a 6d5n trip there which would be able to bring me to Komodo. Is it worth it? I kinda like it as its kinda off the road and not so crowded but there are so many other places too.

Those islands are pretty special but not as nice as Komodo by any stretch of the imagination. I don't think you can stay on Sangalaki but I could be wrong. Out of those islands, I preferred the diving at Maratua because of the tremendously gigantic school of barracuda, whale shark & sharks but the macro in Derawan is also impressive. Sangalaki has definitely deteriorated since the resort got kicked out and the island taken over by the fishing mafia. I was not really impressed there although you could see that it had the potential for (or history of?) greatness. You definitely won't have the same number of divers there though so if being alone is the most important thing, choose there instead of Komodo.

Thanks Zippsy. I think I'll have to give this up as its way out of my budget although I would really like the peace and quiet.
I'll target komodo and try to find a laid back place to go. Was told to try land base rather than normal LOB to get the laid back traveler's feel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom