Lombok Diving Info Wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We will have the chance to go to Bali next September for 5 nites and have the option to add 3 nites on Lombok. Looking for information on the types of diving on Lombok and recommedations for operators as well. Is it worth the trip or should we spend the extra days on Bali?

Thanks!

If I'm in your position, will spend the extra 3 days in Bali - more choice either underwater or topsite.
Tulamben area (inc. seraya, melasti and amed) itself worth 4 days or more.
you can spend at least 4 days in padang bai to cover padang bai, mimpang and nusa penida. September is mola2 season.
Don't forget, few days in Ubud is nice for degassing

---------- Post added October 28th, 2014 at 08:35 AM ----------

For Tulamben, I'll recommend Liberty Dive resort and for Padang bai, you can't go wrong with Geko

September is Hammerhead season in south Lombok. Might want to check it out.....

We dove Bali several years ago and hit Tulamben, Nusa Penida, and Padang Bai (Gilli Biaha). I was interested in the big animal diving. I know in September there are Molas and Mantas at Nusa Penida, but I heard there is great shark diving at Belongas Bay on Lombok. Can anyone post their actual experience with those Lombok Dives?

We dove Bali several years ago and hit Tulamben, Nusa Penida, and Padang Bai (Gilli Biaha). I was interested in the big animal diving. I know in September there are Molas and Mantas at Nusa Penida, but I heard there is great shark diving at Belongas Bay on Lombok. Can anyone post their actual experience with those Lombok Dives?

Contact DiveZone Lombok. They are the only operator doing the belongas trips.

Cheers!

I have been to Belongas Bay twice- It is pretty much spectacular and is ALMOST on the same level as Komodo. And it can be very shark-y. I keep telling myself I need to head back there again as it has been three or four years.

There is one downside. The water outside the bay where the Magnet is can be HUGE. Dive Zone is not exaggerating when they demand experience and warn there are days where most sites cannot be dived. Oh...The road getting there is miserable for about 30-40 minutes.

If you are feeling adventurous, want to get off the beaten track, and want to see a part of Indonesia (conservative, crowded, rural) most people haven't, then I would absolutely set up a trip with Dive Zone. South Lombok is one of my favorite places in the world.

Last edited:
What kind of experience is reasonable before one can be trusted to do the dive sites at Belongas?

P

Sent from Tablet, please excuse brevity and typos...

Back
Top Bottom