Bali Trip Report - Sep/Oct 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leejnd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I posted quite a few questions in this forum some months ago, when I was planning my trip to Bali. Thanks to everyone who helped, I had a FABULOUS trip! Not without a couple bumps...mainly, disappointment with our accommodations at Tulamben Wreck Divers resort...but other than that it could not have gone better.

I'm going to my written trip report here, plus I'll post a few photos in another thread. So...

Candidasa -- this was FANTASTIC! We stayed at the Watergarden Hotel, which we just loved. The rooms were lovely...not *quite* as luxurious as I was expecting, but I think I'd just read a few too many glowing reviews and had set my expectations too high. I like the CandiDasa area -- lots of tourist infrastructure, but without the tackiness or aggressive hawkers of the Kuta/Seminyak area.

We dove with Aquamarine Diving, and just like last time I was in Bali several years ago, they did a truly fabulous job. And we got SO SO lucky...we got up close and personal with two Mola-Mola! (Photos to be posted in a new thread.) Really, everything about them was just first class.

We did two days with them, both at Nusa Penida...day 1 we saw a Mola Mola from afar, then headed out to Manta Point and saw at least a dozen Manta Rays. Day 2 we hit the jackpot! An enormous Mola Mola came up from the deep and swam right by us. He then proceeded to turn around and swam right up in our faces! We ended up probably way closer than we should have been, but that was him doing it, I swear!
05.gif

I cannot speak highly enough about Aquamarine. Just a first class operation in every way.
The boat was fast and very comfortable, the packed lunch was delicious, and the dive guides were very safety conscious (important at Nusa Penida where you have to worry about strong currents and down-drafts). There were plenty of dive guides -- the first day we had just the two of us plus one other diver, the second day it was just the two of us with our own guide. This is important to me -- living in Southern California, we don't even have dive guides on our boats -- you are expected to dive on your own, so I don't need a babysitter and I really dislike being herded along with 10 other divers. But the AMD guides were there just for us, no crowding or herding, and did a great job leading us out to where we'd see the best stuff.

I did have a bit of a rough time at Manta Point -- it was very rolly and surgy, and I...well...let's just say I fed the fishies at the end of the dive while waiting to get up on the boat. And I wasn't the only one! But I was fine once I got back on the boat, and honestly it was WORTH a little barfing to see that many mantas! It was rush hour on the manta ray highway, lemme tell ya.

Tulamben -- this was the only place we had a real glitch, and it wasn't the diving...that was phenomenal, and our dive guide could not have been better. Jinah was one of the best dive guide I've ever had. He made it his mission to ensure that I got incredible photographs of some of the most exotic critters I've ever seen. And what an eye he has! He could spot the tiniest creature, and a couple times he insisted I take shots of something I could barely see…and when I’d get back to my room and pull up the photo on my computer it would be some rare nudibranch or teensy spindly crab or some otherworldly critter. Best of all…he found me a pygmy seahorse! And I got the most awesome shots of it too.

The beach entries were unbelievably easy! I've read some other reviews of Tulamben complaining about the beach entries, but I can only assume these are divers who have never done a shore entry before. We live in Southern California, where beach entries often involve 3 to 4 foot waves, and struggles to get yourself past the surf zone without getting slammed. In Tulamben, even on the roughest day the waves were barely knee-slappers…and most days there were no waves at all. We just waltzed right in. Granted you are walking over larger pebbles and rocks, rather than soft sand, which can be a challenge if you’re not careful…but if you just walk slowly and watch where you are putting your feet, it is easy. There’s NO surf zone.

Now the not-so-good news: we were very disappointed in the accommodations. We stayed at the villas outside of town, and we made it clear during our booking process that one of the couples were not divers, and so would be spending much of their time at the villa. We were told that we would be staying in a VILLA, in suites with king-size beds plus a twin in each. What we ended up with were two very basic hotel rooms stuck in a corner on the lower level of the owner’s personal house, with queen beds (NOT king) and an extra twin bed in only one room (we didn't have it, so I had no place to stage my photography gear). NOT a villa. We had no sitting area, no living room, no balcony, no view, no shared space for us…just two boring hotel rooms. If that’s what we’d wanted, we would have stayed at the main hotel and not put ourselves through the hassle of being outside of town and having to get transported back and forth any time we wanted to go anywhere.

One day one of our party asked to see the other rooms at the villa location. Turns out there ARE, in fact, actual villas there with luxurious king-bed suites with extra twin beds, balconies, shared sitting areas…all that we were promised. But we weren't given them.

Our friends ended up either in their room, or sitting at the pool. Now, I will say that the pool at the villas is much nicer than the one at the main hotel…right on the ocean, gorgeous views. But had we known all we were getting were basic hotel rooms, we would have gladly skipped the transportation challenges. About that: my husband and I were loaned a scooter, which made it easy for us…but the other couple are older with some mobility issues that made driving a scooter themselves not possible. So we had to rely on the TWD staff to take them back and forth to town for all meals other than breakfast (which is served at the villa).

Another issue: the TWD restaurant. We went there the first day for lunch, and it was horrible. The food was awful, the service people ignored us as they sat in the back laughing it up, there was a TV above our heads playing Indonesian cartoons at full blast…we had to actually ask the staff to turn it down so we could talk to each other. That night we wanted to go somewhere else, so we made arrangements for the staff to pick us up in a car and transport us to town (since there was no other way for us to get there). But the driver refused to take us anywhere but the TWD restaurant – said his boss wouldn't allow it! We didn't know the layout of the town well enough yet to want to walk around in the dark to find another restaurant, so we ate there…same problems. The next night we made it clear we were NOT going to eat there, and the driver was magically willing to take us to another restaurant.

I sent an email to Tony, the owner, complaining of the room situation. To his credit he did respond with an apology, pointing out that he was out of the country at the time, and he offered to give us four free nights if we return. Unfortunately that doesn't do us much good, since we don’t have any plans to return to Bali anytime soon.

Menjangan Island -- WOWZA! We stayed at a villa called Jeda Villa, and it was truly the most luxurious place I have ever stayed. I wrote a detailed review of it on Trip Advisor -- here's the link: Pure vacation bliss in tranquil Pemuteran - Review of Luxury oceanview villas with large gardens, Pemuteran, Indonesia - TripAdvisor

We stayed five nights there, but only dove for two days. We dove with Reef Seen, which is the original dive op in the Pemuteran area, and they also run a turtle hatchery. We dove one day at local sites, which was good...maybe not quite as spectacular as some other areas of Bali, but I saw critters I didn't see anywhere else, and it sure was easy diving...right off the beach at the dive shop. I also did one night dive there, which was awesome -- super easy sand entry, NO waves at all, warm water, and some very interesting critters (especially the mandarin fish, which you can only see at twilight).

The second day we dove at Menjangan Island, which was just as good as I remembered. The boat was VERY comfy, NO swells or waves at all for the hour-long ride. What was unusual about this was that we were able to bring along our non-diving friends, as they can mix snorkelers and divers on the same boat: the divers drop in over the shallow reef then swim out to the drop-off and head down the wall to go deep, while the snorkelers remain near the boat in the shallows and there's plenty to see. The coral was rich, alive and colorful, and the critter count was way up there.

After Pemuteran we headed to Ubud for a few days, and really no trip to Bali is complete without spending some time there, just for the culture and art.

All in all a really wonderful trip, and again, thanks to all of you who helped me make my decisions. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Great report thanks! Why didn't you get staff to change you to villas as sion as you realized? Even if Tony was away, if hecould ccommunicate with you, he should be able to communicate with his staff.

Where did you stay in Ubud please? Last year, had a driver take me to Bud and i was quite disappointed as it didn't live up to my memory of the place. Afterwards a friend from home was there And loved it. I can only think that the driver hadn't taken me where I'd meant to go. Any help appreciated as i expect to be back in next few months.

At first we didn't realize that there were other villa rooms that were more in line with what we were promised. Then, once we discovered it, they were filled with a group of divers from Malaysia. So we were stuck in our dark little rooms.

---------- Post added October 30th, 2014 at 06:54

We stayed in a lovely private villa called Beji Sari...here's my review: Peaceful, lush setting...gorgeous thatch-roof cottage...AMAZING staff! - Review of Beji Sari, Ubud, Indonesia - TripAdvisor

Last edited:
Excellent trip report!!!! Bummer about your tiny hotel room. We stayed at Scuba Seraya while there and loved it! At least you have a room there next time you go!!!

Great report, glad to hear you enjoyed our little slice of heaven here. Sorry to hear about your issues but overall sounds like a great trip.

Thanks for the trip report Lee. Sorry to hear the less than optimal accommodation. Sounds like you would have been better off to stay at twd itself. Does the villa actually go by the same name as the resort?

Yes, the villa is part of Tulamben Wreck Divers. They actually have three sites -- one right behind the dive shop, one right behind the restaurant (a short walk down the road), and the villas.

It's important for anyone who is considering staying at the villas be aware of the transportation issue. It really is too far to walk, especially in the Bali heat. And you are not near ANYTHING within walking distance. No shops, restaurants, anything.

They do offer you scooters to borrow, and that worked out great for my husband and me, but for the couple we were traveling with, they couldn't use one...they are older and were just not able to ride a scooter. Bill might have been able to drive one on his own, but there was no way he could put his wife on the back and not kill them both. Even for us it was a challenge...my husband is a motorcycle enthusiast and skilled rider, and we were fine during the day, but at night we weren't comfortable at all, especially given the fact that, as Americans, we're not used to driving on the *other* side of the road. So we were pretty much stuck at the villas except for when we arranged for transportation out to a restaurant at night.

We did know this going in, and would have been fine with it, had we actually been given the villa we thought we were getting. We've rented villas in Bali before, and in fact (as described in my report above) we stayed at two other villas later on this trip that actually WERE villas...and when you rent a "villa" you expect to get more than just a hotel room. You expect there to be a common living space, sitting areas, something that is just for us, not open to the rest of the guests. There was a common eating area...a couple of dining tables on a covered patio...but they were shared with all the other villas, and was where breakfast was served. And there was the pool. That was it.

Yes, we would have been better off staying in the rooms behind the dive shop. It would have given Bill & Sandy something to do while we were off diving...no there's not much in Tulamben, but there are a few shops and restaurants, and other resorts with large oceanfront properties beautiful views that they would have enjoyed wandering around in. Instead they spent the entire four days with no place to sit other than their rooms, or the pool.

To be clear: I have no problem with any other aspect of my stay with TWD. The staff did a great job (other than not wanting to fix our friends' toilet!), and the rooms were adequate for sleeping in. And while there are some reports on TripAdvisor of divers not enjoying their diving with TWD, we LOVED it! A lot of it has to do with who you get for your dive guide, and Jinah was just phenomenal. And we had him all to ourselves! There were a few times my husband didn't feel like diving (e.g. the night dive) and so it was just me and Jinah, which was fabulous. Best dive buddy ever. :)

Good report but in regards to TWD Restaurant - there are plenty around there, Komang Warang is just a cross the road and lots of others within walking distance.

I stay at Liberty Dive Resort as they have their own restaurant or you can do the short walk into town - about 5 mins downhill and ten mins uphill :D

Will be back there next week for my fourth trip and looking forward to it.

Karl

We spent two weeks at TWD in late August this year. We stayed at the beachfront villas. When we booked, we made sure that we were getting the large villas and this was confirmed. Did you ask for such a confirmation? Also, I find it strange that non-divers would want to stay so far out of town without ascertaining means of transport etc.

As to the restaurant, we ate most of our lunches there, no bad meals and very good service. We also had quite a few dinners there, again, not a single problem.

Did you ask to move to the main accommodation when you did not like the beachfront one? Unless they were also full, then they would have moved you. Even if Tony is away (as he was for the first week of our time there), the owner Wayun is more than willing to help solve problems.

Good report but in regards to TWD Restaurant - there are plenty around there, Komang Warang is just a cross the road and lots of others within walking distance.

Yes, we learned that quickly after eating that first awful lunch there right after we arrived. That night we asked to go to another restaurant, but the driver INSISTED that his boss only authorized him to drive us to the TWD restaurant! We were not happy, but it was dark and we didn't know our way around and didn't want to wander around town at night, so we thought we'd give it another try. Horrible. Never again! After that we ate all our lunches at Wayan's Warang (right across from the dive center)...fabulous! And dinners were either at Tauch Terminal or another resort restaurant...can't remember name, but both were wonderful and right on the ocean.

We spent two weeks at TWD in late August this year. We stayed at the beachfront villas. When we booked, we made sure that we were getting the large villas and this was confirmed. Did you ask for such a confirmation? Also, I find it strange that non-divers would want to stay so far out of town without ascertaining means of transport etc.

As to the restaurant, we ate most of our lunches there, no bad meals and very good service. We also had quite a few dinners there, again, not a single problem.

Did you ask to move to the main accommodation when you did not like the beachfront one? Unless they were also full, then they would have moved you. Even if Tony is away (as he was for the first week of our time there), the owner Wayun is more than willing to help solve problems.

YES we confirmed exactly what we wanted, but please keep in mind we'd never been there before so we wouldn't have known to ask specifically for the "large villa". We didn't know there was an option of villa rooms. I made it clear we wanted a VILLA, not just a couple of hotel rooms, and that one of the couples would be spending most of their time there. I asked him more than once to describe exactly what we're getting, and even asked him for a floor plan so I could make sure! He replied that he doesn't have a floor plan, but that we were getting "two king suites in a three-bedroom villa", and that no one else would be in there so we'd have the villa to ourselves. How that translated into giving us the two small rooms stuck down in a dark corner beneath his home is beyond me. Clearly we did NOT get what we were promised.

We didn't ask to move to the other hotel because when we first got there, we actually thought we had the entire house to ourselves! I even waltzed right into Tony's house and out onto his balcony to relax, assuming this was our villa! It wasn't until later the staff told me that was NOT ours...that was Tony's home and we were only allowed to be in the two little rooms on the ground floor. And we didn't yet realize what a pain the transport situation was going to be for Bill & Sandy.

By the time everything came together...that there WERE villas but we weren't given them, and that the transportation was going to be a real pain...we were two days into our trip and just not worth the hassle of moving. We just sucked it up. We knew we were going to be in a couple of fabulous villas right afterwards (for which we had floorplans and knew exactly what we were getting), so we lived with it.

So, yes we could have asked to move to the other hotel, but we chose not to. That doesn't change the fact that they gave us THE WRONG ROOMS, not what we were promised, and we got NO refund or any kind of compensation for this, other than a promise to give us free nights when we have no intention of traveling back to Bali any time in the next ten years.

I'm glad you enjoyed the restaurant. Sadly, we thought it was horrible. The service was particularly bad. The staff were all sitting in the back talking and laughing and completely ignoring us. We had to get up from our table to get their attention to ask for more water. What's worse, the damn TV right over our heads was blasting out cartoons, and both times we had to ask them to turn it down so we could hear each other. And the location is pretty bad too...across the street from the ocean, no view, hot and dusty. Right across the street at Wayans, you could sit upstairs with a spectacular view of the ocean, and get WAY better food for the same prices, and with the service people bustling around us to meet our every need. Night and day. If Tony reads this, I hope he re-trains his staff to 1) not sit around loudly talking and laughing and ignoring the customers, and 2) turn off the TV!

Back
Top Bottom