Ambon diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NautilusCairns

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking at a trip to Ambon next year. Has anyone dived with Bluemotion Ambon? Would appreciate some feedback. Any other operators/accommodation that people would like to recommend?

Hi Nautilus...after diving with Maluku Divers many times I tried out Blue Motion earlier this year. Maluku Divers is top notch in every respect...some of the best guides you'll ever dive with, food, and accommodation and, if its in your budget, I'd say make that your top choice. I tried Blue Motion this last time to save some $$ and wasn't disappointed..while on a budget i'd definitely go back there again. They are located about 15 minutes from the airport like Maluku Divers, and are situated nearly right next to the "Twilight Zone" divesite. Guides are ok...I had trouble not comparing them to MDs, and I'd say the dive op is a good place to go if you one who likes to do your own dive and find things on one's own (as they'll let you do after seeing your skills). Personally, for muck diving and being a photographer I generally prefer a guide, but also like to look around on my own as well. Dive prices are very reasonable, $25 or less, and you could do a night dive any evening. For day dives, they do a two tank morning dive with the ability to out for one addition dive in the afternoon. There isn't a great variety of accommodation in Laha, but I stayed at a homestay that was very comfortable and clean within walking distance to the dive center. For meals, there are a lot of choices among local warungs, and for lunch you can eat a prepared meal at the dive center. Any other questions, feel free to pm. I can't speak for Blue Rose or Dive into Ambon as have never dove with them.

Thanks for the report. I am looking at using dive into ambon early next year. Who did u fly with internally and what baggage allowance did u get? Any dive gear allowance?

Kaj Maney , who used to be the head of diving at KBR now owns Dive Into Ambon. He is a top notch guy and I am sure he has a top notch operation. We have been to Maluku Divers Resort 2x and loved it there. If you end up there try to dive with Semwell. He is AWESOME!!! Dive into Ambon are the ones who found the psy. frog fish this season!!

Thanks Ocdiver I have sent you a pm with a couple more questions.

I dived with BlueMotion 2 years ago, their housereef is "twilight zone", cannot be better located. they're cheap and german, hence no "flexible indonesian agreement" ahoy, you won't be surprized though they lacked diveguides, I had to guide a young german DM on the other side of the bay, they probably slightly improved in that respect. the problem is that they can't go outside the bay with their small boats.

I dived three times with Blue Rose, for me it was the best compromise when Robert was still there, GREAT speedboat, few divers, GREAT diveguide (Robert) passionate with macro critters and probably the most knowledgeble guides for the south of Ambon and Haruku, they were the only ones to organize minisafari to Lease islands and arrange for staying on gorgeous Molana.

I never dived with Maluku divers : much too expensive, lacked flexibility, too many divers on their boats.

If I had to go back, I would certainly opt for DiveInAmbon the newer kids in town, they're located where I usually stay (Aston Natsepa) close to the Lease islands and provide muck diving in the bay with muck experts (something you could expect from the ex KBR managers).

Regarding the flight questions I remind everyone that Garuda allows 20kgs for dive equipment on top of the checkin luggage allowance... but you must show your dive bag and prove it's dive equipment at checkin.

Thank you Luko. I was taken aback with the prices at Maluku Divers. I dived in Ambon in the mid 1990's and remember some pretty nice swim throughs and caverns outside of the harbour area. That was before I got interested in photography now I love macro as well!.

I dived in Ambon in the mid 1990's and remember some pretty nice swim throughs and caverns outside of the harbour area.
That's Pintu Kota and Hukurila caves, probably.

Kota Pintu arch by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

5515597901_b9aac1e772_z.jpg

Hukurila caves by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

Great thread - I've started planning for Ambon in 2016 - so thanks to all for the useful advice and tips. Anyone been in November? Good time for critters?

Cheers
NudiSusie

November is a good time to go I think re weather and dive conditions. I don't think the critters particularly vary much other than the usual cycling which changes anyway, ie more of one thing and less of another. I am off to ambon, and hopefully also diving around one or two of the lease islands in 8 weeks so will post a trip report (though probably photos not as good a luko!)

Back
Top Bottom