NAD Lembeh October 2014 - Octopus Everywhere

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darnold9999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well not quite everywhere

5 nights and 9 dives at NAD Lembeh in early October

All in all an excellent trip.

The bad first. Once again Lion Air was more than 2 hours late which meant instead of arriving late at night and catching the first two dives of the next day I arrived at about 3 in the morning and choose to sleep instead. Not impressed, but somewhat expected. Catch a Lion Air flight that is not the first flight of the day and it will be late.

The highlights were all octopus related. On the second dive of the trip it seemed that there were octopus everywhere. I ended up with pics of 7 different octopus on that one dive. Here are two:

octo-1.jpg
octo-2.jpg

The next day the guides found a hairy octopus – generated quite a bit of excitement as you would expect – with a lineup of photographers waiting their turn. No idea how they found it. Looks like a patch of algae – even when you know what it is and are looking right at it.

octo-3.jpg

The following day we (by we I mean my guide) found a blue ring Mototi. I was alone with my guide at the time so took my time with it and got some great shots. When I was done I looked up to find a circle of photographers waiting their turn hovering above.

octo-4.jpg

Three trips to Lembeh and I would rate the guides at NAD as the best of the three. The food and the accommodation are nothing particularly special – very good, but not exceptional, however the guides were exceptional. Thanks to Mike Veitch and Underwater Tribe for the recommendation and adding the extra excursion to the liveaboard trip on the Ambai.

Seems that end of year is best for Cephalopoda! Hairy and mototi are still on my list, never been lucky enough to see either in 70dives in lembeh!

Wow, Thanks for sharing. I'll be in Lembeh in 2 weeks, hopefully those Octopus are still around waiting for me :)

Wow! Great photos! I especially liked the hairy octopus shot! They are such tiny little guys! Sounds like a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom