Bali trip advice - December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h20_kat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This will be my second trip to Bali. Last time I went to Tulamben for a few days diving (wish I had planned more time there!), then to Ubud for a couple days and then 6 days diving at Nusa Lembongan.

This time I have 10 dive days and need to decide where to go, who to dive with and where to stay. I am traveling solo and love muck/macro sites. My thoughts so far are perhaps splitting my time between Padang Bai and Amed. If this seems like a good option, how many days should I spend in each? If there is somewhere else I should go instead or in addition.. let me know!

I would welcome suggestions of dive ops in each area. Safety is very important, Nitrox must be available and I prefer a small operation with not too many divers.

As far as accommodation, this is part of a 7 week diving trip so I need to keep it relatively low budget. Hot water, wifi and A/C preferrred. Convenient to the dive shop as well as restaurants, near the water would be a bonus.

Would love any and all suggestions, including dive sites not to be missed. Thanks

You'll probably get lots of recommendations to go back to Tulamben. And lot's for Liberty Dive Resort private guides, it will be just you and your guide, very reasonable prices, and free nitrox. I've done it twice and as you know it's pretty great muck, with some good reefs if you get muck overload.
You might also try Padang Bai I've not dove it but there are lot's of people who recommend it also. Reported good muck and some reefs.

You'll probably get lots of recommendations to go back to Tulamben. And lot's for Liberty Dive Resort private guides, it will be just you and your guide, very reasonable prices, and free nitrox. I've done it twice and as you know it's pretty great muck, with some good reefs if you get muck overload.
You might also try Padang Bai I've not dove it but there are lot's of people who recommend it also. Reported good muck and some reefs.

I was happy with Liberty Dive Resort last time. I had an excellent guide and fabulous dives. The reason why I was thinking to stay in Amed instead this time is that it seems the dive shops in Amed dive both Amed and Tulamben so I could dive both areas. The shops in Tulamben don't seem to advertise this. If it's not what they usually do they are unlikely to do it for 1 person. Any info about this would be appreciated.

Liberty dive resort took me as a solo diver and my guide plus another guide down to Amed no worries! There was an extra charge but it was minimal.

For lodging, can recommend Blue Star Cottages in Amed. Walking distance to a range of dive shops and restaurants (fine on-site resto as well). Pleasant snorkelling, not outstanding. Can't help with dive shop recommendations: ear issues turned that part of our Bali stay into a non-diving relaxathon. However, if muck is your focus you might be better in Padang Bai or back in Tulamben.

U might wanna check Lovina area also,I havent tried it myself,but if ur lucky they have regular dolphin sightings there. Theres also the national park there,n some dive spots around the area. Man, i wish i had advanced OW,ive been to Tulamben but never got as deep as the Liberty

FT:
For lodging, can recommend Blue Star Cottages in Amed. Walking distance to a range of dive shops and restaurants (fine on-site resto as well). Pleasant snorkelling, not outstanding. Can't help with dive shop recommendations: ear issues turned that part of our Bali stay into a non-diving relaxathon. However, if muck is your focus you might be better in Padang Bai or back in Tulamben.

Blue Star looks like it could be a good option. Not sure what dive ops are around there though. Will need to investigate.

Have contacted Geria Giri Shanti Bungalows with Adventure Divers on site. No A/C and I don't think right on the beach. Really good reviews for rooms and dive op though. For a few dollars more Blue Star is right on the beach with A/C.

---------- Post added November 15th, 2014 at 05:20 PM ----------

I don't think I want to go quite as far as Lovina. Perhaps if I had someone to split the cost of transfers I would. This is my 5th trip to Indo so perhaps next time! Dolphins are always fantastic to see.

---------- Post added November 15th, 2014 at 05:23 PM ----------

Hi, you might find this thread interesting: Where to dive in Bali after Tulamben!

I liked Padang Bai not only for the diving but for the whole atmosphere. So much that I'm returning in December for another week diving with Geko

Cheers

www.lifesauntering.com

Thanks for the tip. I already read that thread and your blog post about Padang Bai. Both helped me decide I definitely want to go there. Think I will email Geko for suggestions on accommodation. You have any suggestions? When will you be diving there?

---------- Post added November 15th, 2014 at 05:28 PM ----------

MA:
Liberty dive resort took me as a solo diver and my guide plus another guide down to Amed no worries! There was an extra charge but it was minimal.

I see on Tulamben Wreck Divers they charge an extra $10 for Amed dives so assume it would be similar for LDR. I am just keen to experience a different village this time around so think I'll go with Amed.

nothing wrong staying in amed. Usually I stayed in Tulamben (LDR) but August last year I opted to stay in Amed, ie. at Hotel Uyah. The accomodation is good and they also have nice house reef.
Here's the report for more detail
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/indonesia/467095-amed.html

for padang bai, i second geko. this october we dived with them and stayed for four nights at Puri rai. Not the cheapest accomodation in the area but very good value.

nothing wrong staying in amed. Usually I stayed in Tulamben (LDR) but August last year I opted to stay in Amed, ie. at Hotel Uyah. The accomodation is good and they also have nice house reef.
Here's the report for more detail
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/indonesia/467095-amed.html

for padang bai, i second geko. this october we dived with them and stayed for four nights at Puri rai. Not the cheapest accomodation in the area but very good value.

Is it just me or is Liberty Dive Resort kind of middle of nowhere? I didn't have a lot of time to wander around last time I was there but it didn't seem close to anything. I figure Amed looks like a bit more choices for places to eat which would be nice.

I had a look at Hotel Uyah but it's a bit too expensive.

After reading your report I am thinking about those bumpheads on the Liberty. When I was there I geared up at 5:30am so that I had them all to myself. It was tough as I had travelled all the way from Auckland the day before and only arrived at LDR at 10:30pm. Totally worth it though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom