Best Indonesian Quicky (limited time)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gajahduduk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be in Indonesia from 13 Dec 2014 to 27 Dec. I know Indonesia very well and have been all over the country, and speak Indonesian. (I'm American).

However I'm having a devil of a time finding a way to do about 4-5 days of excellent diving without too much mucking (sic) about. Ideally I'd like to fly into CGK on 13th (arr. 18:25) and go straight out somewhere, and be back by around Dec 20. I definitely want to be in town over Christmas, and either way need several days in Jakarta.

Both Banda Aceh and Manado are obvious choices, but don't want to repeat. I've been diving a lot in Northern Sulawesi (Bunaken, Sangir-Talaud, Lembeh). All fabulous diving (yes, Bunaken in 1996, I've heard latest). I've dove in and around Komodo, and in East Timor (both wonderful) also, but prefer not to repeat. I wasn't terribly impressed by diving at Pulau Weh in the 1990s. Though I love Bali, the diving there is not very good.

Imagine Alor is close to diving in East Timor, but would be interested. I'd love to go to Raja Ampat but it seems impossible to do without at least 9-10 days. I tried to get to the Bandas once from Ambon, but that was a nightmare – always bad weather for the flight and never made it out of Ambon.

Are there no operators out of Ternate? Why aren't people diving there? It's easy to fly into Ternate.

Just seems hard to get anywhere from Jakarta same day? I would prefer a simple land-based resort but would consider a live aboard.

Anything I'm overlooking here?

1. Without looking too hard at schedules, it looks like you might be able to do Sunday to Sunday in Raja Ampat at Kri Eco/Sorido Bay. Granted it is longer than five days, but it is Raja Ampat.

2. They might still be diving in South Lombok, but will be getting ready to shut things down for rainy season.

3. December really limits your choices when you get out of the big areas.

Maybe Togian Islands or Bangka? Still Sulawesi but different. Could try East Timor or Flores, but I have to disagree in that diving is Bali is actually good but depends where u go.

Thanks, Matt. Ironically the Kri Sunday - Sunday is one I found already and I'm already inquiring with them. Main issue is if I arrive Jakarta Saturday at 6:25 pm can I get to Sorong in time to catch their boat on Sunday? Second issue is it's still really 9 days, 7 days with them plus 2 travel days. Maybe 8.

Other ideas? Kalimantan? And why does December limit choices BTW? Rainy seasons vary all over, you'd think December would be a high season in some areas, as I know it is in RA.

Pughio: is it possible to get to the Togian Islands from Jakarta quickly? How? As I said, East Timor I dove last, was great though too short. Komodo I've done also. Is Flores much different? Operator recommendations in Flores? re: Bali, ok, where do you go? :) I can imagine the west side of the island up by Menjangan would be good diving, but then you're not really getting the bali experience (I imagine, not having yet been there, correct me if I'm wrong), anyway… And how do you get there from Jakarta? Still have to go to Denpasar?

Did you end up diving when you were in Ambon? Its a quick and easy trip to Ambon from Jakarta and Maluku Divers is located only 5 minutes from the airport, there is also Dive into Ambon on the East side of the island. Fly out of Jkt at midnight and arrive into Ambon at 7am.. easy

Did not see any operators on Ternate or Tidore at all.

There are also other places to stay in Raja Ampat and some will be more flexible with duration of your stay and day of arrival. Have a look at Papua Paradise Eco Resort, Raja Ampat Biodiversity, Wai Eco Resort. On the other hand I would advise to stay for 2 weeks as there is so much to see.
It is not Ternate, but you will have to fly to Ternate and then continue via boat and car transfer. There is Weda Resort on Halmahera. December should be a good month to visit.

Mike, thanks. I did not dive in Ambon. Are you recommending those operators?

Wingy: I wonder why there are no dive operators in Ternate or Tidore?

Maggie: Thanks for the other RA recommendations. Of course I'd love to stay forever but… :) I'm also checking out Weda Resort.

Did not see any operators on Ternate or Tidore at all.
There are dive centres (not dive shops), but local ones. there's a guy named Adit Kaleumm who can organize diving around Ternate, there's also some diving in front, on Halmahera, called Gilolo dive center.
You will find these guys on facebook they don't have their own website.

On mid october 2014, I'm dive in Ternate and Jailolo area. They have several good diving sites there. There is Nasijaha dive center that you can contact. They can arrange to dive in ternate area and jailolo in halmahera. I see that many of diving trip to that area, always use this nasijaha dive center. You can call Adit,mobile no 081356329849 manager of NDC.
another suggestion, you can go to gorontalo, i hear that they have good dive sites and have special salvador dali sponge, which just only found in gorontalo.

Back
Top Bottom