Tricks for getting flights from Sorong (SOQ-CGK)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gajahduduk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Those of you following the thread I started on the best Indonesian quickie may have a tip here for me.

I'm trying to get back from RA as quickly as possible after my trip ends on a saturday. The ferry from Wasai leaves at 11:00 on Saturday. Been told it gets in at 13:00.

Options and problems:

1. get 16:05 Garuda flight. problem: no economy seats left. question: anyone know a way to snatch one of these seats? already on the wait list.

2. get 14:35 Garuda flight. problem: obviously tight connection from ferry terminal to flight (at best 1hr35min). question: is it crazy to consider?

3. take 10:35 Express Air non-stop flight the next day. problem: cannot book online with a foreign Visa card. anyone have a reliable travel agent or other way around this problem? their support is unresponsive.

Bonus Questions:

1. has anyone ever got the "travel letter" you're supposed to have, or has anyone run into any problems not getting one?

2. anyone stay at the Hotel City View? Or have any must-stay here comments if I wind up with option #3?

Thanks.

I would personally NEVER try anything that has close connections in Indonesia. The traffic is crazy so I would rule out #2 for sure. We stayed at the ​Je Meridian Hotel and it was right across the street from the airport. Nothing fancy but perfectly fine! Also, there is a thread in the Indonesia forum somewhere that tells you how to book flights online using your own credit card. Good luck!

What is your date?

For option #1 it would be 20 Dec. For option #3 it would be 21 Dec. Ruling out option #2 by your good advice.

I can book #3 via the dive operator with a 15% fee. (which is ok to pay but checking if I can do better). I've also just inquired with Asiable Indonesia travel service, as recommended here. I also contacted Raptim in Jakarta, who I've used before, but haven't had a response.

there is a thread in the Indonesia forum…that tells you how to book flights online using your own credit card.

Yes. I used NusaTrip to book CGK-SOQ on Srivijaya and that was easy. But NusaTrip doesn't book Express Air (option #3) and doesn't even list the Garuda flight I want (#1).

3. take 10:35 Express Air non-stop flight the next day. problem: cannot book online with a foreign Visa card. anyone have a reliable travel agent or other way around this problem? their support is unresponsive.

Hi ,
I have a foreign VISA Card ( Italian ) but I have booked online the Xpress Air flights anyway .
did you tried and refused ?

bye
Paolo

Garuda's website is allowing me an economy seat. It aint cheap, but it is there.

Sorong(SOQ), Domine Eduard Osok(SOQ)
Sat, 20 Dec 2014 16:05
Jakarta(CGK), Soekarno Hatta International(Soekarno Hatta International)
Sat, 20 Dec 2014 19:25
GA691
Garuda Indonesia

[h=3]Fare Amount[/h]
  • Origin: Sorong
    Total Fare : IDR 6170400

matt: ah, but that's not the economy fare. you'll notice that the leg from SOQ-UPG is executive class. The UPG-CGK leg is economy. That's why it's insanely expensive.

I'm reconsidering option #2. I was informed that the 11 am Sat ferry is supposed to take 1.5 hours from Wasai but is usually a half hour late, and 15 mins to airport. So even if assuming late ferry, I should make it to the airport by 1:30 pm. Is there any good reason not to assume that if I can make it to the airport by 1:30 I should be able to check a bag and get on the 2:35 flight? Got to be a small airport, no?

Then if I get screwed I can always stay the night and get on the next day's flight. Shouldn't be too hard to find a room and switch flights if needed. Imma thinking.

Seriously, the Sorong airport is pretty much hell on earth as far as airports go. You would think an hour is enough time, but that is in the sane world.

Buy the tickets separately. I just ran this:

Executive Class Ticket on 20/12 on GA691 to Makassar (16:05-17:15) is 2.5 Million.
Book a separate ticket Makassar to Jakarta on GA613. Leaves at 20:00 and costs 1.1 million.

Total is 3.6 Million.

The earlier flight in which you have a great chance of missing costs 4.1 Million to Jakarta through Makassar. I know this makes no sense. Welcome to Indonesia. You can buy me a few beers (unless I botched this search up) with the 500.000 I just saved ya. :)

matt, thanks a bunch man. i thought i was an old indonesia hand, but you got me beat on thinking to check whether buying the legs separately would be cheaper, cuz, well, itulah, ndak salah coba aje. happy to make good on the beers in DKI. Dangdut di Pasar Rumput?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom