Traveling to Raja Ampat- questions on logistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bugatti

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are taking our first trip to Raja Ampat in 16 days (but who is counting!?) We are traveling LAX-Tokyo-Jakarta, then Xpress Air nonstop Jakarta to Sorong. This will be our first trip to Indonesia, and aren't quite sure what to expect with the Xpress Air flight. Anyone traveled on Xpress Air carrying their camera and regulator as carry-on?

We each usually carry a backpack as carry-on... one person carries regs, dive computers, laptop and small video setup, the other gets camera, housing, strobes, etc. I'm guessing each backpack probably weighs 25lbs fully loaded.

I'm worried we are going to get to the flight from Jakarta to Sorong, then find that they want us to pay $$$ in overweight carry-on fees or make us check our precious :)

Appreciate experiences, and any other suggestions for our first Indonesia trip! We are spending 2 weeks at Papua Explorers and couldn't be more excited!

I am sure that this will be fine. The most important thing is to allow for possible delays of up to a few hours.

So wrong airport is fine and a new terminal was being started when we were there a year ago.We travelled through Africa several times and it was positively palatial compared with some of the airports we saw.

Have a fabulous time x

I didn't have to pay any overweight fees on Express Air but got dinged a bit on return flights on other airlines.

For the life of me i cannot recall whether or not my carryon stayed with me in the overhead. I know I took it to the plane but can't recall a thing about my personal bag situation. I was overwhelmed by the tightness of the plane and that it was jam packed with locals who had all manner of weird and wonderful carry on items with them. As a red eye flight it was a brutal trip for me.

For the return flight, all we divers waited and waited at Sorong Airport, however, the Express Air flight was the only one that arrived almost on time and took away their passengers almost on time as well. The rest of us continued to wait, sweaty and uncomfortable. Bathrooms, don't get me started. Suffice to say, at the very least for
any ladies in your party, pay to use the lounge with access to a western toilet. That bathroom was still no great shakes buddy compared to the general public one . . Well I'll say no more except to note that I've a fairly amount of experience with Asian style toilets regardless, still traumatized. :)

Always be prepared for flight delays, despite my personal experience with Express Air, it was only the one time

I did the exact route back in October w express air. No major problem. Airport officials are pretty friendly as long as u are nice & respectable.

They can be pretty strict on their carry on so plan accordingly to their size and weight restrictions to avoid being dinged and carry on ur must haves.

I would be more careful about people around the airport trying to make a buck from you at CGK (Jakarta). Not too big of deal but still leaves a bad taste. Hired cabs at airport demands 100-150k Rp for even near airport dropoff hotels. ( should be less 100k)

Try take meter cabs like bluebird cab if u can at least for in city and to airport. Security may bar you from getting to meter cabs. But possible if you are sneaky. The driver just bribe them after we got on.

Also save some RP for all airport exit "tax" for foreigner during ur return trips. Try not get souvenirs at CGK airport. Way too $$$ Just be a little more alert in Jakarta. Bad air quality & heated moisure sucks at noon time.

There is double security even in domestic terminal as indo has its share of terrorist problem in the past.

Express air flights was reminiscent of 737 flights from the 80s. U will experience the Sorong locals not necessarily bad. Once in Jaja all that will be gone as u enter deep crystal blues.

Have a great time!

Tsuyoshi, I've had no trouble getting a bluebird taxi, especially not when leaving the airport as is has it's own booth just outside not to far from the exit doors at international.

Glad you mentioned something about people supposedly helping you. When i was dropped off at domestic terminal to go to Sorong on Express Air, a baggage handler came over put my bags on his cart while recieving instructions in bahasa Indonesian as to where i was going, ie Express Air. The guy walked me outside a looooong way from the doors. I finally stopped and made him stop too. When it became apparent that he was either completely clueless or trying to hustle me for more money, I just grabbed my bags in frustration and walked back to the main entrance (right where I'd been dropped off), and checkin for Express was right there . . .though it wasn't well marked all.

So, as soon as you get to through the main door of the domestic terminal at Jakarta, go straight to the counter and ask for Express.

You should arrive at Terminal 2 in Jakarta. There's a transit hotel upstairs in the center part of the terminal. I believe that Express Air goes out of Terminal 1 (domestic) on the other side of the airport, so a short taxi ride will get you there. There may be a shuttle but not sure. Baggage allowance is typically 15 kg.

Several of my group were booked with Xpress Jakarta-Sorong-Jakarta in November. In all cases the return flight departure Sorong - Jakarta was delayed by 4 -6 hours. Fortunately since I recommend very long connections or an overnight in Jakarta before International flights, no one missed their connection.

Xpress' checked bag limit is 20kg. 40,000IDR / kg for overweight. Some divers had quite a lot of carry on baggage and had no complaints about that.

As far as I know the transit hotel inside the International terminal is still closed for renovation.

Last edited:
People kept telling me not to use any smaller airline in Indonesia and so I booked every flight - from London to Sorong on Garuda for my recent trip to Raja Ampat. The flights were mostly on time - the longest delay we had was 40 minutes on the Makassar to Jakarta on the return leg. I could see that there were longer delays on SriWijaya and Lion flights passing through the airport.

Am I right in saying you have to wait nearer the time to book express air? I am looking at logistics for a raja trip in October and the website doesn't let you see or book flights after April.

I wasn't allowed to book until45 days ahead, IIRC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom