Trip Report Ambon and Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andreni

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Having read all the information about diving in Indonesia on this board before, I now try to share some of my experiences from our second trip to Ambon and Raja Ampat in September / October 2014.

After the delayed international flight we rested a few hours in Hotel Orchardz near the airport before taking the direct flight with Garuda Airlines to Ambon. I had all my photo equipment in a camera bag, carried an additional handbag and had no problems with excess baggage, so no fees.

First we spent some days with Maluku Divers. We were curios to see what they had to offer, as it was much more expensive than Dive Bluemotion, where I spent a week in 2013. To be honest I was not overimpressed with MD. The underwater sights were good - we saw a lot of critters – and so was the hotel (though I’m not keen on eating a lot of western food in Indonesia and sleeping without mosquito net). But the dives were a bit chaotic. In theory there where two groups with two dive guides but in reality we more often dived as one big group. Our boat always left late and as Swiss people tend to be punctual we always had to wait for other guests. Em & Joe were nice and the staff is really friendly. But in the end for us it was too expensive compared to what you get in other resorts in similar price range. On our last “non-diving” day Michael organized a trip around Ambon, which was the highlight of our stopover.

After 4 days we flew with Wings Air from Sorong to Ambon. They allow 10 kilogram per person so we had to pay excess baggage fees. I think it was 22’000 IDR per kilo so we had to pay around 40 USD for both of us. Not too bad…
From Sorong we went by ferry to Waisai, which took us around 2 – 3 hours. As there are not that much “Bulehs” on the ship, it is an authentic experience ;-).
In Waisai we were picked up by the staff of Raja Ampat Biodiversity, where we spent another two weeks. It felt like coming home, as only 10 month earlier I left from the last visit.

Accomodation / Food
We booked the superior cottage with private bathroom and shower, which I really liked. It’s not luxury like AC, TV, WiFi but the luxury to live close to the nature: hear the waves when you fall asleep, wake up to the sound of the birds... After the dives, we enjoyed to relax in the hammock, did some bird watching or took a walk at the beach. They also provide canoes free of charge, but we were too lazy. The food was Indonesian style, very good and varied a lot. Beer and soft drinks cost extra but at reasonable prices.

But now the most important thing: diving!
Maximum of divers in the resort during our visit: 8. There where two dive guides, so we dived in a group of 4 people (sometimes less).
The dives where great! Big schools of fish, hunting sharks and Spanish mackerels, turtles, Napoleon wrasses, wonderful intact corals… everything you might want to see. I still get some goose bumps when I think of the sound of the fish schools when they try to escape from the hungry predators. One word: spectacular! Dives at Blue Magic, Sardines, Cape Kri, Chicken Reef and Mikes Point provided the necessary adrenalin. We also enjoyed the other dive sites as Batu Lima, Francesco’s place, Mioskon and the underrated house reef of Raja Ampat Biodiversity. We saw a lot of frogfish, countless nudibranch, small crabs, wobbegongs, walking shark, an amazing coral diversity, etc.
The only thing that I missed was the facilities for underwater photographer. But at the moment they are building a new reception area with additional rooms for classes, equipment and cameras, so this will change soon. The experience levels of the divers are mixed. As they have two dive guides they usually try to pair the experienced divers so they can enjoy long dives. Also the inexperienced divers always felt safe, even when we had really strong currents. For some people the dives might be "too safe" and not be deep enough but for us it was fine as we always let them know what we wanted to do/see.

After 35 dives it was time to say goodbye. Again speedboat to Waisai, ferry to Sorong (where we had to spend a night) and direct flight with Xpress Air (no excess baggage fees) back to Jakarta.

If you want to see what we saw: https://www.flickr.com/photos/129373933@N02/sets

The german trip report from 2013 from our 5-month-trip in Indonesia you can find here: https://andblogt.wordpress.com .

Great trip report Andreni and fantastic pictures. You are obviously a photo-pro.

On my liveaboard trip last month, we saw Wobbegong sharks frequently and 3 Epaulette sharks. But though the 10 diving days there were only 2 "regular" sharls - a black-tip and a large white-tip. But of course, the coral and other critters more than made up for it.

Great trip report and FANTASTIC photos!!!

Thanks a lot for your feedback! Much appreciated.

Yes, I really enjoyed the trip. It was already the second time I did it and we were not disappointed. Next time though I would like to see the region around Misool. Or then head to a completely different place like Palau or Fiji (maybe I have to start saving money...).

Wow , fabulous pictures and great report...thanks so much for sharing. We did RA last Christmas on the Black Manta liveaboard , which we loved so much.

The Misool area is great as well as Palau!!!
Thanks a lot for your feedback! Much appreciated.

Yes, I really enjoyed the trip. It was already the second time I did it and we were not disappointed. Next time though I would like to see the region around Misool. Or then head to a completely different place like Palau or Fiji (maybe I have to start saving money...).

Jake11, did you dive Misool on a Liveaboard or from the resort? Any more details on what I can expect from the diving?

We were on a LOB both all 3x we were there! The LOB dives the same spots as the resort so I think either idea would be great!!!
Jake11, did you dive Misool on a Liveaboard or from the resort? Any more details on what I can expect from the diving?

---------- Post added December 18th, 2014 at 03:42 PM ----------

jamesdiving.. one of the most beautiful dives ever is in the Misool area. Boo Windows! Hopefully this link will lead you to some pictures from the area.
boo windows misool

Also, there is a dive guide at Misool Eco Resort named Bram Doali( not sure of spelling of last name..) He is wonderful and you should request him if he is still there if you decide to go land based!

For some reason it will not let me edit my post but I meant to say we were on a LOB all 3x we were there. Not both all 3x!!!
We were on a LOB both all 3x we were there! The LOB dives the same spots as the resort so I think either idea would be great!!!

---------- Post added December 18th, 2014 at 03:42 PM ----------

jamesdiving.. one of the most beautiful dives ever is in the Misool area. Boo Windows! Hopefully this link will lead you to some pictures from the area.
boo windows misool

Also, there is a dive guide at Misool Eco Resort named Bram Doali( not sure of spelling of last name..) He is wonderful and you should request him if he is still there if you decide to go land based!

Back
Top Bottom