September Trip Planning to Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StubbornRussian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We decided on Bali for our next family vacation. Hoping for some advice on our itinerary which is just in outline stage at this point. There will be 4 of us including 3 divers (1 dive instructor) and my 13 year old daughter who may or may not be diving by then. If she is not (she is a little scared) then I am thinking Tulamben might be a good place to get her started. While we are here for diving we are also all big time animal lovers as well and also appreciate topside nature activities like hiking so any can't miss ideas there would be appreciated as well.

• Leave Saturday afternoon Sept.19
  • Get in Monday just after midnight Sept 21
  • Stay the night near airport.
  • Leave around noon on Sept.21
  • Boat transfer to Nusa L.
  • Check in to Lembongan Island Beach Villas Sept. 21
  • Check out Sept. 26
  • Boat Transfer to Sanu in morning.
  • Ground transfer to Ubud.
  • Check in to Elephant Safari Park and Lodge Sept.26
  • Check out Sept.27.
  • Check in to Ubud Hotel – undecided on Sept. 27
  • Check out Sept. 28.
  • Go to monkey park
  • Ground Transfer to Singaraja
  • Check in to Singaraja hotel – undecided on Sept. 28.
  • Waterfall hiking and swimming
  • Check out Sept.29
  • Ground Transfer to Tulamben
  • Check in to Liberty Dive Resort Sept.29
  • Check out Oct.3
  • Ground transfer to airport
  • Evening Flight.

Might skip out on the night in Singaraja and just head over there for a day trip from Tulamben. For such an itinerary would you rent a car for the second half of the trip on mainland Bali? I have looked in to all the popular dive sites but if there are any lesser known sites that you think should not be missed then I would love to hear about them. Hoping to run into some Mola Mola but two of us have only a couple of current dives under our belt so we are looking for lighter current dives. I was originally going to do this trip in the reverse order but switched it around so that we could be on Nusa L in between the new moon and full moon for the lighter current. My first pass at the itinerary also had our diving split between Permuteran and Tulamben but it just felt too busy. Anyways, I would love to hear of anything that you would do differently to improve the trip. Thanks in advance.

September is a good time to go diving in Bali for several reasons, the most important of which is that it will be still well within the Ocean Sunfish season (Mola mola). However, I am told that they are unusual in Tulamben region and more likely near Padang Bai and Nusa Penida.

My suggestions therefore would be to modify your itinerary as follows:

• If possible, move your dive days to the earlier part of your itinerary rather than at the end.
  • If possible, add 4 or 5 more days of diving to the 4 you have already chosen. That way, you can do Tulamben and then go across to Padang Bai (or vice versa).
  • If you are unable to add more dive days and are therefore stuck with just one destination, I would go to Padang Bai rather than Tulamben. Don't get me wrong, diving in Tulamben is brilliant and Liberty Dive Resort are superb, but if you are diving in Bali in September, it is almost criminal not to try to see the Mola Mola.

Padang Bai Dive Resort has a new and very enthusiastic manager named Olivier who is very helpful.

Last edited:
September is a good time to go diving in Bali for several reasons, the most important of which is that it will be still well within the Ocean Sunfish season (Mola mola). However, I am told that they are unusual in Tulamben region and more likely near Padang Bai and Nusa Penida.

My suggestions therefore would be to modify your itinerary as follows:

• If possible, move your dive days to the earlier part of your itinerary rather than at the end.
  • If possible, add 4 or 5 more days of diving to the 4 you have already chosen. That way, you can do Tulamben and then go across to Padang Bai (or vice versa).
  • If you are unable to add more dive days and are therefore stuck with just one destination, I would go to Padang Bai rather than Tulamben. Don't get me wrong, diving in Tulamben is brilliant and Liberty Dive Resort are superb, but if you are diving in Bali in September, it is almost criminal not to try to see the Mola Mola.

Padang Bai Dive Resort has a new and very enthusiastic manager named Olivier who is very helpful.

Hintermann, our intent was to dive for the Mola from Nusa Lembongan with World Diver or Two Fish. We are planning four dive days from this location. Also planning to get some surfing in.

I"ve been to Bali twice and I like your itinerary. I definitely would not advise you to rent a car, leave the driving to the experts. And as you mentioned, do Singaraja as a day trip from Tulamben. That way if any in your party want to dive they can. And Nusa Lembongan will be great to look for Mola-Mola, and the reefs there are really nice and get you can get your surfing in, 5 days there is just about right.
I can only see one problem, once you've started diving in Indonesia you want to keep going back!

we visit Bali regularly, at least 1 - 2 x a year. Being local (though I spend most of my time outside the country), always rent a car; give us lot of flexibility
Indeed, driving in Bali is not for everybody but once you get the rhythm, is not as difficult as you see.
Anyway, you can hire a driver for your whole trip. Check with the hotel you'll stay if they have room for driver or negotiate with him to find his own accomodation for small money.

For the itinerary, I prefer to go to Tulamben first as a warming-up before you dive Nusa penida. Tulamben is also good for beginer. Both of my daughters were certified in Tulamben when they were 10 and 12 years old.
You can also consider to stay at padang Bai as your base for diving nusa penida and other south bali.

we visit Bali regularly, at least 1 - 2 x a year. Being local (though I spend most of my time outside the country), always rent a car; give us lot of flexibility
Indeed, driving in Bali is not for everybody but once you get the rhythm, is not as difficult as you see.
Anyway, you can hire a driver for your whole trip. Check with the hotel you'll stay if they have room for driver or negotiate with him to find his own accomodation for small money.

For the itinerary, I prefer to go to Tulamben first as a warming-up before you dive Nusa penida. Tulamben is also good for beginer. Both of my daughters were certified in Tulamben when they were 10 and 12 years old.
You can also consider to stay at padang Bai as your base for diving nusa penida and other south bali.

My first thought was to do the trip in reverse order so we could all knock out some easy dives in Tulamben and then maybe also get my daughter into the water. But if we did that then this would put us on Nusa L for 2 days prior to a super full moon all the way to two days after the full moon. My fear is that the current would really be ripping here at this time. Am I overestimating the effect of the moon on the water in this area?

You are correct that currents are stronger at around full moon, usually strongest about 3-4 days after the full. However, no problem doing the trip in the way you have stated. The only real dodgy current dive they would take you to is Crystal Bay and "most"operators try to do it safely there as well. There are plenty of dive in Lembongan and Penida that are just nice one way mellow drifts like SD and Pet etc, even more along the north coast of Penida. And molas are often found on those dives as well. There is very rarely current at the manta sites, the swell is more of the issue there and the half moon as you are planning is better for lower swell (typically) so that is a smart move. I would say no need to do an overnight in Singaraja, that actually takes you the wrong way from Ubud to Tulamben, there are a couple of nice waterfalls not too far to the NW of Tulamben, no need to go all the way to Singaraja from Tulamben for a day trip. But if you do decide to head to Singaraja from Ubud then I would suggest going to the Munduk waterfall as opposed to Gitgit, too many people at Gitgit in Sept and the two waterfalls at Munduk are fantastic as well.

I would also suggest for you to hire a car with a driver. We have done this many times for very reasonable prices and it is a lot safer and then you can relax and view the beautiful scenery of Bali!

Hi there ,I am wayan darta,the padi instructor who own dive center on padangbai bali. The name of my shop is PADANGBAI BALI DIVE. I can take care of you if you would like to dive around padangbai and tepekong or mimpang island. Those islands very well place to see most mola-mola. For biginer and experience diver are ok.Please change your plan a litle bit then you can enjoy padangbai more. If you want to see macro staff padangbai is the place you are looking for.So why to wait. i am very happy if you are taking me to take care of you sir.Please email me at :darta_bali@yahoo.com
I will unswer your question and give you reply well.
Cheers
Darta/padangbai bali dive

Back
Top Bottom