Where in Bali if you have only 2 nights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billywinter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Will be in Bali for a 10 night trip with my non diving wife. Though not an official 'dive trip', I am going to bring my camera set up (housing strobes etc..) even though
I will probably only be able to do a few dives. Was thinking about 2 nights in Tulamben and diving the Liberty wreck and nearby reefs. I only have a macro setup
and of course would love to do some muck dives (never done before). Would this be a good spot or is this place over hyped? Where would be the best place to go
for only 2 nights (hopefully 5 dives or so). Is it worth dragging all the camera gear? Will probably be based in Seminyak...any good day trips for a dive from there? 6005 Jericho Turnpike NY 11725

Thanks

Tulamben is indeed good for macro, and so are Seraya and Melasti, a few minutes away. I stayed at the Liberty Dive Resort: rooms are nice, it's close to the Liberty Wreck, it's (to me) relatively inexpensive, and you can't beat the one-to-one diveguide-to-diver ratio.

It's probably a good hour and half or more depending on traffic, but there is good macro diving in Padang Bai as well. You might consider spending a night or two there on your way to or back from Tulamben. While there, I stayed at the Puri Rai Hotel and dove with Geko Divers.

Another good macro site is Secret Bay in Gilimanuk (NW Bali). I've never traveled there from the Denpasar area - I don't even know if it is doable as a day trip from Seminyak. Also, the water temp there is much colder than Tulamben and Padang Bai (lo 70's if not lower).

i was in Bali a couple of years ago. I managed to sneak away a couple of days for some diving. Hotel pickup in the morning, drop off in the evening around 5:00, so not terribly selfish if your non-diving wife...she can go and spend the day shopping or relaxing at the hotel.

all of the above are fine options and there's plenty of shops to coordinate.

It's helpful to stay closer to the ocean like Denpasar (i.e. not central location like Ubud.

I was impressed with what i manaaged to see diving, the reef is well taken care of.

have fun, and good diving to you

Tulamben is a great choice for the short time frame you have!! The wreck is awesome. Have fun!

Tulamben is not over hyped. It's a great place to get into muck diving, and well worth dragging all your camera gear. You'll also probably be spoiled with your own guide ( I know this is the case at LDR) giving you the ability to slow down, and take your time shooting photo's. If you have any critters you want to see specifically just tell your guide and the local ones will know which site to take you to and where they are. The only problem is if it's your first trip to Indonesia you'll want to keep coming back!

+1 for Tulamben. If I only had a couple of days I'd dive the Liberty at different hours of the day, but that's just me.

Thanks Guys, I feel better about concentrating on Tulamben. Having your own guide is also something I will look for.

You should also consider Nusa Lembongan---short fast boat ride from Sanur. You stay on Nusa Lembongan and dive at Nusa Penida. We were there in September--fantastic--giant Mantas and Mola Molas. Diving is excellent at Tulamben--but you need to stay there--The Liberty wreck is ridiculously crowded unless you get in the water very early. Also excellent Macro in the Tulamben area. Liberty resort is a good and reasonably priced option. IMHO, best diving on Bali is Menjangan in the NW corner of Bali---stay in Pemuteran. Have a great a time.

I spent 5 nights at Tulamben a couple of weeks ago and would recommend it highly. Besides the wreck there are other great macro sites nearby in the Bay and at Seraya which is only a 10 minute drive away. I stayed at Ocean View which is next door to the Liberty Dive Resort and both would be fine. There isn't much to do in Tulamben except dive so besides lounging around the pool perhaps the hotel can arrange a day trip for you wife. Here are a couple of pics from that trip.

_B210057.jpg_B220093.jpg_B220144.jpg_B230256.jpg_B240333.jpg

Another good resort that has an awesome house reef is Scuba Seraya!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom