Need Advice on Diving Indonesia / Borneo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maggie831

Reaction score
Hi All... I'm new to Scuba Board !!

Just came back from a month diving Roatan... the reefs were incredible and incredibly cheap !! HIGHLY RECOMMEND Seagrape & Native Sons...

Now I am planning next year's trip and need advice on Indonesia and South East Asia.. I usually travel solo & thus try to minimize what I spend on accommodations... Roatan was incredibly cheap at $15 per tank and my room (with a/c was $500 for the month)... any hope of finding similar pricing ??

Any advice on where to go, where to stay & who to dive with would be greatly appreciated !!!

I've been diving in SEA the last two winters (I'm from Manitoba)! Indonesia has some great diving, but the best is expensive ie. Wakitobi, Irian Jaya and Alor! Less expensive and easier to get to is the Komodo Is. area, also great diving! The least expensive and easiest to get to are Bali (and Lembongan) and the Manado and Lembeh Straits area. Depending on your time and money, you could do a combination of some of these sites! Also went to the Philipinnes! The diving there is almost as good as Indonesia and quit inexpensive and easy to access! Getting around the Vasaya Islands is very easy, the people are friendly, accomodation and food relatively cheap! Need any detailed info, send me a private message!!
Caio!!

As we have a forum dedicated to Indonesia/SE Asia, I have taken the liberty of moving it there in the hopes that it will get a better response.

When it is convenient, you may wish to familiarize yourself with our board and all that it has to offer.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Well if you want cheap, I'd head to the Perhentians. I know it's not Borneo but Air ASia has som great deals. It's excellent diving and if you've got your own gear I think I paid $10 a tank with Turtle BAy Divers. I did a bunch of dives with them last summer where I was the only guys besides the dm. The island has lots of cheap backpacker accom and cheap eats. If you're in that part of hte world you can't pass up Sipadan. It'll be $150 a night for 3 boat dives and unlimited shore dives (on their amazing wall) plus all food and transfers included. Not so cheap but worth every penny.

Indonesia diving can be cheap, you will have to live in a losmen for super low costs, but no A/C and definately less than US$500 per month.

Bali has lots of accomodations and inexpensive diving.

Manado cost a bit more due to lower competition.

Unfortunately Pulau Weh is out of bounds for now.

Phi Phi near Phuket is entering the wet monsoon, so Koh Tao area would fit your budget. But A/C - typically will cost more.

Nemo:
I've been diving in SEA the last two winters (I'm from Manitoba)! Indonesia has some great diving, but the best is expensive ie. Wakitobi, Irian Jaya and Alor! Less expensive and easier to get to is the Komodo Is. area, also great diving! The least expensive and easiest to get to are Bali (and Lembongan) and the Manado and Lembeh Straits area. Depending on your time and money, you could do a combination of some of these sites! Also went to the Philipinnes! The diving there is almost as good as Indonesia and quit inexpensive and easy to access! Getting around the Vasaya Islands is very easy, the people are friendly, accomodation and food relatively cheap! Need any detailed info, send me a private message!!
Caio!!
Kevin here. Appreciate the tips and am going to do trip within the next month or so. Kevin

jiveturkey:
Well if you want cheap, I'd head to the Perhentians. I know it's not Borneo but Air ASia has som great deals. It's excellent diving and if you've got your own gear I think I paid $10 a tank with Turtle BAy Divers. I did a bunch of dives with them last summer where I was the only guys besides the dm. The island has lots of cheap backpacker accom and cheap eats. If you're in that part of hte world you can't pass up Sipadan. It'll be $150 a night for 3 boat dives and unlimited shore dives (on their amazing wall) plus all food and transfers included. Not so cheap but worth every penny.
I liked your tips. Hope to visit them soon Kevin

Hi, try to go Bunaken Island in Manado..the best Island for diving. Accomodation and Diving is cheap. try one of the diving shop there..TWOFISHDIVERS,visit www.TwoFishDivers.com

IKA

Hi all out there.

Did anyone happen to know about the volcano eruption/earthquake in Indonesia?

Wonder if it is still safe to visit in two weeks time???

Got plans for Manado and Sangakali ....sob

scubadudee:
Hi all out there.

Did anyone happen to know about the volcano eruption/earthquake in Indonesia?

Wonder if it is still safe to visit in two weeks time???

Got plans for Manado and Sangakali ....sob

I wouldn't worry ro much: Bromo is probably closer to Singapore than to Manado...

Back
Top Bottom