Suggestions for Dive Holiday, 17-25 October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huskychemist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got one week to dedicate to a dive holiday in October and I'm trying to find options. I currently live in Bangkok, so I'd be flying out of there. I'm looking for either a liveaboard or dive resort where I can get 4 dives per day, including a night dive, each day of my trip. My budget isn't incredibly high, but luxury accomodations aren't a must either.

Any suggestions within Indonesia? I've done Lembeh Straight and would love to go back but I'm having trouble finding cheap enough airfare to have money in the budget for my diving. (Unless I want to have loooooooong travel days that don't adequately fit my schedule.)

Thanks.
Lowell

Liveaboard to Komodo. But if your having trouble finding cheap enough airfare to go back to Lembeh. Komodo is probably out of the question.
What operators are you looking at in Lembeh? What's your diving/accommodation budget per day?
Bali might be right up your alley with numerous flights, affordable and great diving.

Thanks for the tips Dirtfarmer. I dove with Divers Lodge Lemben in 2009 and had an absolutely amazing first-class experience. Hence, my desire to return. But prices have gone up (everywhere, it seems) and airfare isn't nearly as easy. Komodo would be fantastic, but I think price and flights are a bit costly also.

I am considering Bali. It's a straight shot from Bangkok with AirAsia and not incredibly expensive to get there. I haven't chosen a resort yet. Looking at Scuba Seraya and Baliku at the moment. Any suggestions?

As for total budget, I'm just trying to find the best diving experience at reasonable costs. I can't do luxury. I also want a good experience where I can set my schedule as much as possible and dive slow looking for critters and taking photos.

Thanks.
Lowell

Bali is a good choice for one week esp. in October.
Not sure whether Seraya nor Baliku would be the best for one week, which is longish for one spot. I stayed at Baliku in august, the bungalows are gorgeous, the food is fine, Baliku dive centre is good too, Niko does a fine job and no other guide knows the Japanase wreck like he does, I had a fantastic nightdive in the Japanese wreck with him as a private guide, that would be the perfect choice for the esternmost sites in Bali like the Japanese wreck or Gili Selang BUT... Baliku is very far away in Amed, nothing around, it takes some driving to get to the dive sites, also Balliku dive centre maynot be one of the cheapest dive centres.

Seraya gets always good reviews on the other hand I find them very expensive for the area while Tulamben nearby has excellent dive centre like LDC that will allow you nitrox for free and a private guide at no surcharge for considerably less, this fits perfetly with your diving requirements. Hence Seraya is not recommanded when you want to go affordable.

For a week, it's possible to transfer seamlessly, it will take ony a couple of hours drive. I would suggest staying 4 nights in Tulamben, LDC gets my vote and 3 nights in Padang Bai from where you can dive Nusa Penida, these are the two aspects of Bali, macro/black sand dives in Tulamben area, blue water soft corals and big animals in Penida, Cedric's Gekodive is my first choice in Padang Bai

Check my Baii gallery on Flickr (signature) if you want to have a view of all these areas of Bali.

Luko's spot on for Bali. At LDR you'll get your own guide and you can set your own schedule. Pick your critters and your guide will take you to the proper dive site, find them, you'll shoot photos and they'll look for more critters. And from Bai's great for diving Nusa Penida, and there's some good diving off Padang Bai. ( second hand knowledge). The great thing about Bali is no additional flights from BKK so no loss of diving days-transfer days.

If your still looking at Lembeh I've used Two Fish there 3x. It's a well run operation, probably the most affordable in Lembeh, you would have a single suppliment-20Euro I think, but they have a range of rooms from budget on up.

I agree isth the above comments! It's a great one week itinerary, awesome but cheap diving, great service, great for photography. Guides at LDR are perfect for macro photography.

I agree with Lembeh as well. Also, check out KBR but I don't think they will be in the budget category. You never know, there might be some deals out there!

Back
Top Bottom