Sanur, Padang Bai or Candi Dasa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beth_castroll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All-

I am looking for a location for about 6 nights in July/Aug '15 that will be super close to diving, have a good mix of restaurants and street food, a nice beach and a little night life all largely in walking distance. During the time we spend in that location we would want to do 4 local dives and a Mola-Mola/Manta Day. 3-4 days of diving depending on energy levels. We are AOW and prefer Coral and Walls to Muck. We are in our mid-40's and still like to go out for a party at least one or 2 nights.

I really liked most of what I read about Padang Bai's beach and close dive sights, but wonder if its too sleepy and no night life. Thoughts?

I liked what I read about Candi Dasa except for the beaches. Also seemed a little sleepy. But also close to good diving. Thoughts?

Sanur seems ideal but farthest from the diving. How far to a local reef.

We will be spending 4 Nights in Tulamben and will have plenty of sleepy there. We will spend 3 nights in Ubud and will have city there.

Since we will spend the bulk of our trip in this location I want it to have a good mix.

Thanks! I've almost got this trip dialed in!

No contest - Padang Bai. Although it is far more sleepy than Sanur, there are bars that will stay open until the last person leaves, and the diving is right on the doorstep. Many restaurants, accommodation, dive centres to choose from, something to suit all budgets. (love the street food/local cuisine)

And even if you want a change of scene, CandiDasa is just 15-20 mins away, meaning you could grab a taxi for a different night out.

The island of Nusa Lembongan sounds ideal for you I think, it's just a short boat ride away from Sanur and also, I think, there's a boat from Padang Bai to NL (happy to be corrected on this point).
Dive sites are very close and mola molas and mantas could well be seen in July/August.
Not exactly a party island but good enough for a great evening out.
Plenty of accommodation, restaurants and bars - it's a great island, been twice already and planning to go back in October this year.

Nusa Lembongan... "not exactly a party island" ... Clearly someone hasn't been at Blue Corner Dive on a Friday night.

FT:
Nusa Lembongan... "not exactly a party island" ... Clearly someone hasn't been at Blue Corner Dive on a Friday night.

Yes I have actually. On our last trip to NL we popped up to the BCD bar for a beer or two on a few nights expecting a bit of life but it was fairly quiet, I must be unlucky. When I go back to NL later this year I'll give it another go. Cheers.

We stayed for a week a bit up the road from Candi Dasa at the Lotus Bungalows resort. We were right on the water, great pool but no beach except rocks. It was close walking distance to the town where we walked after the dive day was over for food , shopping, etc. It was fun! The resort has their own stellar dive shop I might add!! Check them out!

Agree with Divewench, Padang Bai has more going on and the diving is very close. It's a younger scene overall and more focused on diving.

Candidasa is nice too, but definitely mellower. If you're looking for an interesting hotel there, try the Watergarden. Cool little bungalows with koi ponds, super friendly staff, and a good restaurant.

Lance

Padang Bai is nearby diving but not overly exciting in regards to night life in my personal opinion.

I would spend two nights in Padang Bai, dive the local sites, and then move to Sanur to do two day trips to see Mola2 - Manta Ray at Nusa Penida.

I would say, if you're in your mid 40's :
- but look like you're 30, enjoy reggae bars and approximate live music, stay in Padang Bai,
- but look like you're 60, Candi Dasa is an option (there are so many condos for retired people there...)
- speak english with a german or a russian accent, wear socks with your sandals, you'd be invisible within the Sanur zombie family crowd.

Personally (we're in our late 40s and do not wear socks with our flip flops) we either like Lembongan (not many bars though, there are mainly two competing, but an excellent gourmet restaurant at Indiana Kenanga) or Padang bai... your choice.

Luka, I'll have to show you around Sanur next time you're here. I promise not to wear my white socks ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom