Best macro site in Bali?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all! We are presently in Tulamben taking photos and I was wondering if anyone would like to share:

* what do you think Bali's best macro dive is?
* what are the most interesting creatures there?

im hoping to see a harlequin shrimp and a
donut nudi here :)

---------- Post added January 24th, 2015 at 08:01 AM ----------

Oh! I should add we did do a couple of dives on the Padang Bai jetty and yeah. That's my kind of diving. We will spend a few days in Padang Bai just for that site I think. And my dream animal to see there would be a rhinopia. :)

the only downside of the jetty was there were four boats there on our first dive - one being quite large with 15 or so divers. So it was pretty crowded and some unskilled Asian divers were kicking the hell out of the columns and floor.

Seraya in Tulamben is a solid macro site. I have had harlequin shrimp and a donut nudi on the same dive there. donutnudi-0376 copy.jpgharlequin-0296 copy.jpg

Thanks matts! I think we will do that this morning also. Anything else you reckon we should have on our wanna-see list around Tulamben/Amed?

Coleman shrimp, Toquezuma shrimp, Hairy Shrimp ( I still want a decent photo of a Hairy Shrimp) Blue Ring Octopus, Motatoti Octopus, Mimic Octopus, Frogfish of any type,the list goes on and on.
I usually tell my guide what I'm looking for and then they pick the best site. Then when my list is done we just go to my favs or I ask him for his favorite.

My favorites are :
Number one for me is Tulamben Liberty slope, I've had : Blue ring octopus, Harlequin shrimp, tiger shrimp, tozeuma shrimp, donald duck shrimp, hairy shrimp, saron shrimp, skeleton shrimp, candy crab, hairy squat lobster, frogfish all types, allied cowries, Ghostpipefish ornate and robust, phyllodesmium, lomanotus, tritonia nudis, ..

Seraya & Melasti are not bad also for Tiger shrimps, harlequin shrimps, coleman shrimps, hairy shrimps, candy crab, hairy squat lobster, frogfish, allied cowries including tiger cowrie, pygmy seahorse, ghostpipefish ornate, robust and paegnius, stiliger, costasiella and doto nudis,

Jetty at Padang bai is very special : 3 rhinopias in one dive, 2 weedies + one paddleflap, giant frogfishes, clown frogfish, flying gurnards, pipefishes, ...

I like Japanese wreck in Amed at night too, very different from the rest : bumblebee shrimps, hairy squat lobster, lots of nudis Tambja or nembrothas, emperor shrimps running on spanish dancers, allied cowries,...

Thanks all!

Will get over to Seraya tomorrow. Just did the Liberty again today. Got some nice pics of skeleton shrimp (2 colors) and the Dennis Pygmie Seahorses.

Im not sure if these qualify as decent or not, dirtfarmer but there were little (5mm or so) hairy shrimp all over the place today. Here are two:

hairy shrimp 1.jpghairy shrimp 2.jpg

Matts - thanks for sharing your pics! Luko - wow. You're making me excited. I see you have dove Anilao also. If this is half as good I will be happy :) Dirtfarmer - thanks for the tips! Jake - thanks for the confirmation.

I didn't know there were bumblebee shrimp in these parts! Only time I have seen one a guide had it in a little flask in his pocket so he could place it on rocks or sand for guests to photograph. I didn't partake.

Seraya & Melasti are not bad also for Tiger shrimps, harlequin shrimps, coleman shrimps, hairy shrimps, candy crab, hairy squat lobster, frogfish, allied cowries including tiger cowrie, pygmy seahorse, ghostpipefish ornate, robust and paegnius, stiliger, costasiella and doto nudis,

I'm familiar with the other sites you mention, can you help me where the dives in Seraya and Melasti are, please? (going back to Bali this September)

Wow!!!!!!!! Awesome hairy shrimp pictures!!!!! I have only seen 1 ever and that was at Lembeh!!!!! Al over the place...super cool!!!
Thanks all!

Will get over to Seraya tomorrow. Just did the Liberty again today. Got some nice pics of skeleton shrimp (2 colors) and the Dennis Pygmie Seahorses.

Im not sure if these qualify as decent or not, dirtfarmer but there were little (5mm or so) hairy shrimp all over the place today. Here are two:

View attachment 201918View attachment 201919

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom