Where to stay in Padang Bai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all! Can anyone recommend a good place to stay in Padang Bai? We did a day trip there from Tulamben a couple of days ago and I was very impressed with the macro opportunities at the jetty there. We will probably dive with OK as one of their guides was kind to me underwater, pointing out some photography opportunities my own (non local) guide had missed. And I like to repay that kind of thing. I made note of the boat when we were back up, and it's the Dipe Boat Too, which I belibe belongs to OK.

There was also a dive guide there dressed as a devil, and she was showing her guests some photography subjects but was careful to ensure we couldn't see them. So no tip from us for her. Heh. We try to be generous tippers!

Anyway, so we will probably spend 3 or 4 days there shortly and I was wondering if anyone has tips on a good, affordable place to stay? I like aircon and my wife likes hot showers. But other than that we are ok with a humble place and to save our money for diving.

I stay at Puri Rai, which is quite near to my favorite diveshop in Padang Bai, Gekodive they will show you the rhinopias anytime, they were even able to show me one in Jepun, as well as a very nice hairy frogfish, probably the nicest pink fellow I've seen yet.

Hairy frogfish portrait by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

Wow Luko!!!!!!!! I don't think I have ever seen a better frogfish picture!!! Stellar!!!
I stay at Puri Rai, which is quite near to my favorite diveshop in Padang Bai, Gekodive they will show you the rhinopias anytime, they were even able to show me one in Jepun, as well as a very nice hairy frogfish, probably the nicest pink fellow I've seen yet.

Hairy frogfish portrait by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

Padangbai Beach Resort is pretty decent. The Lemon House is the cheapest place I've stayed in PB, but is a long walk from the dive ops (all the options mentioned so far are in the strip along the beach where the dive shops are). Pura Rai is frequently totally booked, and tend to not respond to emails if they are. I stayed at a great new place just behind Topi Inn the last time I was there...less expensive that both Padangbai Beach Resort and Pura Rai, but I can't remember the name! If you wind up diving with Geko (highly recommended) Cedric can tell you which hotel I mean.

Last edited:
It is probably more expensive but if you could swing it we stayed at Lotus Bungalows resort up the road from Padangbai. Their resort and dive shop which is right onsite is stellar!!!! One of the best dive ops we have ever had the pleasure of diving with!!!

Thank you so much everyone! That is all incredibly helpful. Pura Rai claim to be fully booked and are, indeed, being a bit slack with their emailing so some of this other options look great.

Luko - that photo is magnificent. May I ask what your strobe position and power was to get that light? Just a single strobe at 10 o'clock slightly elevated?

Thank you so much everyone! That is all incredibly helpful. Pura Rai claim to be fully booked and are, indeed, being a bit slack with their emailing so some of this other options look great.

Luko - that photo is magnificent. May I ask what your strobe position and power was to get that light? Just a single strobe at 10 o'clock slightly elevated?

Thanks, I am using a snoot that usually comes in with a private guide to help me hold and target it off the housing, although on this shot I had to manage it myself since there was so much current... in this case I am shutting down my second strobe, so yes you may consider it's one strobe left side, elevated. I spent some time on the fellow and tried to vary the light effects. I am shooting sTTL with my Inon, works 95% of time with my Canon 7D.

Current running through its hair, no snoot right handside strobe :

Bad hair night by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

Padangbai Beach Resort is pretty decent.
Now more so than before, it would seem. PBBR is under new management and the present boss, a Belgian (I think) named Olivier, is very pro-active and eager to please. I have booked my late September 2015 visit there with PBBR and am happy with the arrangements so far. Olivier seems like a very organised sort of guy, which IMO is useful while running a dive resort.

Back
Top Bottom