How to book domestic flights within Indonesia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jenniferscuba

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
We are trying to book our domestic flights within Indonesia. More specifically from Jakarta to Manado. We tried doing it online, but discovered that they don't accept US credit cards. We have an agent at a local scuba shop who can book them, but they are three times the cost. How have others booked flights on their own?

Thanks!
Jennifer

When I flew from Jakarta to Manado (and for other internal flights in Indonesia), I used an Indonesian travel agent that the dive resort in Manado recommended, and they charged me about the same amount I saw online or was told by other divers it would cost. A 3X markup is robbery, and you should consider not patronizing that shop for ANYTHING unless they can explain themselves.

You cannot avoid using an Indonesia travel agent or the owner of the accommodation you are going to.Needless to state the latter is a lot easier , but using an agent is also fine.

Last edited:
When I went in November 2014, I used Garuda all the way and booked all tickets - including all local flights - on-line sitting at my computer in the UK. Garuda charged the local flights in local currency and it was automatically converted on by bill. Garuda does most of the local flight routes, is more reliable and has the advantage of advance on-line booking facility.

Unless you are going specifically to Manado, I would suggest using Makassar instead to Sorong. Most people these days use the Jakarta-Makassar-Sorong route for Raja Ampat trips. There are more flights and better choice.

Check this site out: Indonesia Matters . If you click on the 'flights' button at the top, a menu drops down. They can sometimes help with domestic flights booking within Indonesia.

I just booked Garuda flights from Jakarta to Manado on nusatrip.com for our trip in September. They took American credits cards-- no problem. Only issue was giving them a phone number-- my US cell number was "not a valid number". So I just used the Jakarta hotel as the phone number-- that worked. They emailed me our E-tickets. Nusatrip.com was cheaper than booking directly with Garuda. Only $233 round trip from Jakarta to Manado.

I've also used nusatrip.com a few times and it's always worked for me. Both from the US and within Indonesia.
Good Luck.

www.nusatrip.com is your answer as several suggested...US credit card no problem, no credit card or commission fees. Have used it many times including the current trip I'm on now in Indonesia

Why do people seemingly hate travel agents? I have not used nusatrip, and I have to believe it works fine. For years, though, people booking dive trips that required internal flights in Indonesia used any of a small group of travel agents who specialize in just this kind of thing--arranging flights for foreigners. I don't have any reason to believe they charge more than the booking sites like nusatrip.

That said, I'll happily use nusatrip next time, if for no other reason than getting it done instantly. But the Indonesian travel agents are still operating and ready to serve divers, as far as I know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom