Komodo trip on liveabord

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scarke

Contributor
Reaction score
My husband has decided he wants to do a trip on Black Manta to Komodo this year. He is a very experienced diver so really wants to do something like this. I need some questions answered tho before I agree...

I love swimming and snorkeling….so will I be able to do this every day ? Does anyone know what the currents are like generally ? We went to the Maldives last year and I was quite disappointed in that in the 10 days on the boat there were quite a few days (50%) that I could not swim or snorkel. it was very rough…and also the reefs are submerged so I couldn't see anything…some days I literally held onto a rope in order to get a look!!

So just wondering what I should expect ? Also what is the best way to get there out of the UK ?

Thanks.

Currents can be strong! Not always but often.

Areas such as Castle and Crystal rocks (Gili Lawa Laut)would not be suitable but the boat will moor in the bay where you can snorkel without a problem
You should not snorkel anywhere in "current city" as its tough their for divers when currents swirl and change- i would not wish to be on the surface.
Further south around Padar Bay and Nusa Kode the water can be quite green so not ideal for snorkeling (depending on your time of year).

What is the schedule that the boat follows - may be able to help you more with that information?

Hi scarke, Your husband will kill me but.... You will certainly be able to snorkel / swim some every day but many of the dive sites would not be optimal for just jumping in an swimming about. Fish love current and divers like to be where there are many fish so the good dive sites in Komodo (and other places) are often not great for snorkeling. On many Komodo dive sites, the surface is often fairly choppy too and we may not be close enough to take you over to a better location during the dive time. Also, the benefit if a live-aboard is that in between dives, while divers are eating, napping, watching a movie, chatting, getting a massage, reading, editing photos / videos, etc., the boat is moving to the next dive site. Komodo is small enough that there will be times that the boat is sitting in a quiet bay with shallow reefs perfect for snorkeling but it won't be the norm. I'm not often on the Black Manta in Komodo but I have been on it when I've taken young children snorkeling to see the mantas and baby sharks so again, there will some time every day to do some snorkeling as well as exploring the bays and Komodo island itself (on land usually on the last day).

Regarding getting to Komodo, usually the best option is to fly through Bali. KLM has a good flight from Europe if a British airline doesn't. Stay at least one night in Bali then catch the early morning flight on a domestic carrier to Labuan Bajo where Cedric or Mike will pick you up. If you haven't been to Bali and you have the time, spend more time there too. Snorkeling, ocean swimming can be quiet good there but it is a stunningly beautiful island full of culture further away from Kuta. Holler if you have any other questions but you can also talk to Max @ whitemanta.com too.

Zippsy, Hi there….hope you are well….thanks for the advice…hmmm sounds like the hubby might get his way after all…but maybe a week on the boat and a week on land!!…I was a bit disappointed like year in the Maldives that some days I couldn't swim because it was so choppy….so bit more research to do…and thanks again for the info.

all depends what time of year you go to Komodo, as others have said the main boat will normally be in a bay, where it should be possible to snorkel/swim, while a skiff or RIB takes the divers to the dive sites like Crystal Rock, which is in the middle of the channel.

My experience of Komodo wind/weather patterns are:
Dry Season:
May/June = Light winds, tending from the East/South East, generally calm seas. Most areas accessible.
July/August = Windiest time of year, with long periods of strong East/South East winds throughout. Southern areas almost inaccessible.
September/October = Light South East winds, generally calm seas, with the occasional windy days. Most areas accessible.
Wet Season;
November/December = Light Winds, tending from North West with occasional strong winds in northern areas. South very calm. Some Rain.
January - March = Peak of wet season, frequent North West winds. Northern areas can be inaccessible. Southern areas very calm. Frequently overcast and raining.
April = Light Winds, but can be raining/overcast. Generally calm in most areas.

Getting out here, Garuda seem to be doing a great deal from Amsterdam - Jakarta, mate of mine got a return flight Amsterdam - Makassar for 600 euros, flights to Amsterdam are pretty cheap from the UK. You have to go through Bali to get to Labuan Bajo, no choice, so Emirates or Etihad can have good deals. The only other way is go with a Mermaid liveaboard or the Adelaar, both run Komodo trips, but depart and return to Bali which saves you the flight to Labuan Bajo and you get to see the islands in between. Adelaar runs this trip all year, the Mermaids between May - October.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom