Suggestions for Bali dive trip with non-diving wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DSR-3

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for a Bali visit in May/June.

Previously, travel/dive trips have been solo, and diving the only priority. This time, my wife will be coming, so I have additional considerations... Diving is still the main priority, so that should dictate the areas, but my wife is not a diver so the accommodations need to be a bit above my solo requirements. She’s not into shopping, partying, or adventuring on her own, but would be quite happy with a nice pool, some yoga, massage, and just generally relaxing at a nice place. Her tastes infood are pretty tame, so I am also trying to work with that. There are limits to the budget and not looking to splurge (getting there is expensive enough!), but I'm not totally $$ focused either. We will do some topside sightseeing together in the afternoons.

We will probably stay 7-8 nights, split at 2 places. I definitely want to dive the Tulamben area,and was also looking at Padang Bai and Nusa Lembongan. Macro is #1, but definitely want to see mantas, reef life, etc.The main challenge is finding some places she will enjoy, because I have no doubt that Iwill have a great time diving!
Thanks for any suggestions.

I have a non diving wife also who is happy with relaxing, doing some yoga and getting a massage. I'm a lucky guy!
It's easy to get to Lembongan from Sanur just a 45 min boat ride and the diving's great there. Nice reefs, and Manta Point for Manta's. Good macro there but at times it can be a challenge getting photo's due to it being a current prone area. Plenty of places to chose for diving and accommodation. I do like to stay close to the dive shop so consider that in picking resorts/shops. I used Lembongan Dive Center and found it to be a well run shop and it was just minutes from where I was staying.
You can dive Penida/Lembongan from Padang Bai but I prefer to stay on Lembongan so I'm gone from the wife a shorter time.

Tulamben's awesome and I've used Liberty Dive Resort twice and it's a great place with a great shop. You can pick your schedule and will have your own guide and they have free Nitrox also. Lot's of LDR fans here on the Indo board.
You can do some sightseeing from Tulamben, it is a pretty sleepy town but since you don't need shopping or parties you'll be happy there. And don't worry about your wife's tame food taste's there's plenty of choices between western and Indonesian food everywhere.

The only problem is 8 nights is to short. If you can get some more vacation time stay longer!

Nusa Lembongan is safe, quiet and close to the great diving of Nusa Penida. There are some upscale accommodations; you might not find an onsite dive shop and have to walk a bit, but nothing is far. On the other hand, macro is not its trademark and your afternoon sightseeing would be low-key strolls. Would you get your fill of macro at Tulamben?

Staying in Padang Bai would give you access to muck in the bay as well as (longish) boat rides over to Nusa Penida for the mantas. Also easier from there to tour the southeast mainland sights in the afternoons.

My wife is also a non diver, but she loves Bali btw.

What I can suggest :
- stay 4 nights in Tulamben either at Tauch Terminal, very nice grounds and 2 small pools, excellent massage from 4PM,center of Tulamben, alternatively Ocean View is nice too but further away from the restaurants. Go diving with Liberty Dive centre they will pick you up at TT anytime you ask.
- have a one day break in between transfer from Tulamben to Lembongan, phone Ricky from Tulamben transport and hire him for one day, start early drive around ricefields in Sidemen, small temples outside Ubud, go and eat one babi guling at Ibu Oka in Ubud, then it's time pick the 4PM speedboat from Sanur to Lembongan.
- In Lembongan stay 3 or 4 nights in Jungut Batu area, it's where the restaurants and the dive centres are. You have all types of accoms with nice pools from luxury (Indiana Kenanga) to comfortable/affordable (2Fish or Pondok Baruna garden). Diving is in the morning so you can spend all the afternoon with wifey, alternatively go surfing, bathing, rent one or two scooters (interesting local villages in the back of the island)

Last edited:
Hi there ,I am the dive operator of PADANGBAI BALIDIVE.So I would like to give you a sugestion of where you will stay and diving so your wife still fill convinion,happyness.and while you are doing diving.At padangbai puri rai hotel is the buget hotel on padangbai.And padangbai bali dive operator will very happy to take care of you guy to see macro and reef fish.Dont be hesitate to come with me because I have been diving for 27 years as diving instructor. I have many experience of diving.If you dont mind please see my web : Diving in Bali | Padangbai Bali Dive or my email : darta_bali@yahoo.com.
Thank you very much

Cheers
Wayan Darta

Wayan, teman saya, 14 posts and 14 adverts for your diveshop. Please consider just paying for an advertisement on the forum or changing how you respond. The constant "try my dive shop" response is killing us. Terima kasih banyak!

Thanks for the replies- good info and good news. Luko's plan looks good (save the putting of my wife on 2 wheels!), and thanks for the detailed suggestions. 'Any experience with yoga options in the areas? I wish more than7-8 nights was possible, but this would be an add-on to a business trip so we're already going to be "gone" for some time.

DSR if you/your wife is looking for somewhere to do some yoga and get some peace and quiet - try Sankala up in Ubud. Brand new and extremely secluded and quiet (a bit of a rarity in Bali nowdays) - there is a hotel provided shuttle into Ubud for sight seeing. Beautiful place highly recommended.

Sankara Luxury Private Villa

'Any experience with yoga options in the areas? I wish more than7-8 nights was possible, but this would be an add-on to a business trip so we're already going to be "gone" for some time.

I don't know of any organized yoga in Tulamben or Lembongan, my wife brings her dvd's and uses those. Ubud is beautiful and there is yoga there but I don't specifically where.

DSR-3, if your wife is not a motorcycle-lover, perhaps check with any Nusa Lembongan lodgings that you contact how they plan to transport you and your luggage. It's pretty much an all-scooter place, and one of the bigger Ulp! moments of my life was being whisked on to the back of a scooter to get to Blue Corner Dive from the ferry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom