Komodo: Liveaboard vs shore-based

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eellenoff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking at planning a dive trip with a friend of mine this August, and we're looking at a few different options in Komodo. In terms of the diving, are we likely to have a better experience on the liveaboards in terms of sites / timing? I know some places it can feel like you're spending all day going from shore to the sites and back if you go with the land-based options, and many of the land-based boats don't spend as much time at a lot of the more remote sites because they're further. Where does Komodo fall on that spectrum? It certainly looks like it's a lot cheaper to go with shore-based operators, and I'm wondering if we'll actually get better diving for the money.

Thanks!

I did some shore based diving last year with Divine Diving in Komodo and I'd recommend them if you do go the shore based route. That being said, the live abroad options are much better if you can afford it. If you do shore based diving you are restricted to central/north Komodo - where as if you go on a live abroad you can go to the South as well (which is where the better diving is).

We went shore based because we couldn't afford to take a live aboard and I was really happy with the diving there, but after four days of diving central we had had enough of it - I could have easily spent longer there if the boat trips weren't so long/if we went to the North as well. To give you some idea on how long the days are:

We usually left around 7:15am and arrived back anywhere from 5-7PM each day. That included 3 dives each day (you can opt to just do two, but you will be on the boat whilst most people do their third) or 2 dives and a trip to trek on Rinca (pretty underwhelming but do it anyway to see the Komodo's). I wrote about my experiences in a bit more detail here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/indonesia/489212-land-based-diving-komodo-options.html#post7195286

P.S, I believe they have drastically increased the park entrance fees (as well as making them much more complicated) so keep that in mind when working out prices and what not. Accommodation was also pretty lacking in Labuan Bajo so I'd recommend booking in advance (although I think the park fee increases have killed this lack of accommodation off as a lot less people are visiting).

If you do shore based diving you are restricted to central/north Komodo - where as if you go on a live abroad you can go to the South as well (which is where the better diving is).

Hmmm ... I have to take issue with this. The diving in the South is excellent, in my opinion, but not 'better' than the North, which is also excellent.

Hi eellenoff,

The good thing about a liveaboard vs. a dive shop is that liveaboards cover the whole area of Komodo while dive shops only cover one part of it. Moreover, on board a liveaboard you will do more dives (normally around 4 per day, including the night dive) and it is more likely the cruise director will choose the dive sites depending on how crowded they are.

If you want, you can have a look at the Indo Siren's Komodo dive site highlights for your further information about Komodo.

Cheers and have fun in Komodo!

Hmmm ... I have to take issue with this. The diving in the South is excellent, in my opinion, but not 'better' than the North, which is also excellent.

Have to agree. South is different, not better. Having said that if I could afford it I would do the liveaboard. Spending the entire day on a small boat to do three dives gets tiring pretty quickly even if the diving is great (which it is). A liveaboard will get you four dives and you will only be tired at the end of the day - not exhausted.

I would have to agree that a LOB is the better option! We did the Komodo Dancer for our first time which was excellent and then we were onboard the Dewi Nusantara the second time which is always amazing!!! Have fun!

IMO, my 9-day lieaboard trip last June on board the Mermaid I was the best ever of the 18 liveaboard cruises that I have been on. They covered a very wide area and lots of reefs with a lot of variety in terms of underwater scenery. I am sure so single dive shop can come close.

I'm looking at planning a dive trip with a friend of mine this August, and we're looking at a few different options in Komodo.

Hi eellenoff

My friend and I have chartered the Indo Siren for 20-30 August, the 10 night trip covers both north and south with up to 4 dives per day. i did this trip twice before and think that the liveaboard is the best way to experience Komodo. We depart from Bima and dive Sangeang, Gili Banta, gili lawa laut, makassar reef, current city probably padar bay and have a sunset dive with mandarin fish, we usually have 2 days in nusa kode for the macro and at least a full day at manta alley. plus a land tour with the Komodo dragons. most land based operators will not venture to nusa kode or manta alley, nor do they dive bima or sangeang island - so the liveaboard gives a much broader range of sites for you to experience Komodo to its fullest.

We have a couple of spaces left so if you would be interested in joining us please send me a pm.

You can read my trip report from 2014 on this forum
Cheers
Susie

I've done a liveaboard leaving from Bali to Komodo the last two Novembers, fantastic diving. The muck diving in Bima Bay can be fantastic, and the diving off Sangeang is great too. And this last year we did some muck dives off Sumbawa and they were great too. If the land based operators can't get you to Manta Alley or Cannibal Rock your definitely missing some of the best diving in the Komodo area. I could dive Cannibal Rock alone for a week and still not tire of it. It's spectacular and loaded with life. And Torpedo Alley in the same bay is a great muck dive.
My choice would be a liveaboard but if it's to pricey or you can't get space booked try and find an operator that can get you to Manta Alley and Cannibal Rock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom