8 days to spend in either PadangBai or Tulamben...Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pvs.A Diving

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone!

My wife and I have tickets booked for two weeks to Bali. She is going to take her open water (I've got my advanced). We are splitting the trip into two parts Diving and then luxury. We are spending our last few days and nights in the luxury hotels down in Kuta. But I wanted suggestions on where is the best place for her to do her open water and for me to get in great dives?

So go wild let me know what you think. I'm not set in stone with PadangBai or Tulamben but those are the places I have been looking at.

Help a fellow diver out! T

Tanks in advance!

Alfred T

In my opinion, there are merits to both so if you don't mind the relatively short stint at each location and the packing and unpacking that goes with moving from one location to the next, I'd do them both. Tulamben, because it offers great diversity of macro stuff as well as nice corals and fish, both small and larger. Padang Bai, because it also offers opportunities for very diverse stuff, some of which you are not as likely to see in Tulamben, for example, Rhinopias, mantas and with some luck, as pointed out by Hintermann, Mola-Molas or Oceanic Sunfish in the right season.

For a new diver, Tulamben and other sites within the area such as Seraya, would seem the easier of the two because there is seldom any current and the water temp is most of the time nice and balmy. It is just the entry part that can be troublesome for new divers - and even for experienced divers - because the divesites from the Liberty Wreck (to me, a must dive if in Bali) to Coral Gardens are on a beach that is strewn with rocks and boulders from shore and into the water. There are some other divesites that are more of a sandy beach entry, so there are ways around the entry issue. And you could pay a little extra and hire a boat and do a boat entry, thus avoiding the rocky entry issue for her altogether.

Again, from a new diver perspective, I would caution you, however, that several divesites accessed from Padang Bai and known for Mola-Mola sightings are not suitable for new divers because of strong current and at times colder waters. But, in my opinion, the macro sites in the Padang Bai area still make it worth your while. Consult with a good dive operator beforehand to be sure: there are many good ones but FWIW, in Tulamben, I like Liberty Dive Resort, and in Padang Bai, I like Geko Divers.

You should not forget Nusa Lembongan where you will be close by to an amazing coral reefs and walls and the possibilty to dive with manta rays. The island is situated at only 30 minutes speedboat ride from Sanur. The island is not only good for the diving but also have great beaches and plenty options for acomodation and perfect to combine few days of diving with relax.

Watch the lunar calendar for Padang Bai..the full/new moon brings some strong COLD currents! We dove in early November..enjoyed both locations very much..but Tulamben felt like a bathtub after the cold temps at Padang Bai.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions!! I should have mentioned that we are going the first week of June.. I am leaning toward Tulamben (no currents, warmer water :) much better for my wife...don't wantt o lose this one :D ) If I were to think about Nusa Lembongan anyone/where you suggest?

Thanks again!!

Last edited:
Hi,
I will suggest Planet Nomadas dive resort, actually opening their new rooms 1st of June :)
From here, you can organize in a very easy way 2 daily dives in the marine protected area, where places for begginers are plenty in a very healthy and colerful reefs, I think a very nice combination with tulamben due reef diversity and also located only 15 minutes away from manta bay and 30 minutes from manta point. I invite you to check their website Planet Nomadas|Dive lembongan,buceo lembongan,surf lembongan|Lembongan

I had 22 dives and just finished AOW when we touched down in Tulamben. I didn't find the entries that tough and I'm smallish and clumsy. The rocks do get a bit slippy, but were a great training for our follow up trip to Bonaire (evil iron shore and urchins).

The diving at Tulamben was good for my level, and it would have been a great place to do OW or AOW. We attempted the sunfish/ mola mola near Padangbai, but I couldn't deal with the boat trip and the huge waves. I was so peaked and scared from the journey halfway there that I couldn't calm myself to get into the water.

Enjoy.

I just got back from a trip and did both Padangbai and Tulamben. Padangbai is a rough port town and quite noisy and busy so if you are into luxury it is quite the opposite. Tulamben was nicer than I thought it would be but not much to do around there esp. if staying at a resort. The entry is really no problem and I can't even remember what it was like so it really couldn't have been an issue. Talking to other divers I found that Amed was highly recommended. There you can split the time between Padangbai diving Tulamben. It sounds like a nice area. We planned to end our stay there but ran out of time so I can't recommend it first hand.
And like the above poster, I would say you should spend some time at Lembongan. It is more upscale than PB or Tul and is definitely better than Kuta.

Padangbai is a rough port town and quite noisy and busy so if you are into luxury it is quite the opposite.

Really? Are you referring to the same Padangbai, on the SE coast of Bali? I was thinking more along the lines of "sleepy little Balinese fishing village with a ferry dock". Things must have changed drastically in the last couple years ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom