Beginner OWD in Bali - best locations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rebeccan

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,

I'm hoping to do my Open Water certificate in Bali and then a few more dives or the AW cert at either the same location or somewhere else in Bali and I'm finding it hard to work out the best location for a beginner. If I only do the Open Water certificate then I guess I'll have less diving options as I'll be restricted to 18m so that's something to keep in mind.

It seems like the best spots for a beginner are Tulamben or Nusa Lembongan (it sounds like this might be harder/less appropriate for a beginner?) but I've also read about Padang Bai being good too. If anyone has some recommendations that would be fantastic. I've read a lot of the posts here recommending these companies Liberty Dive Resort, 2Fish, Lembongan Dive Centre, Matahari, and Geko Dive in Padang Bai but if anyone else has any recommendations that would be fantastic!

We're planning to do a week surf course in Padang Padang and spend about 5 weeks in total in Indonesia but we're not sure where else we'll go.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,

Bec

My friends just got back from a week at Scuba Seraya Resort in Bali. They told me that the diving was incredible there and outclassed anything they saw in Malaysia. They said the scuba staff at the resort were very good.

She's a PADI Course Director and he runs a dive shop and is a PADI professional.

Dive Center | Scuba Seraya

Personally id recommend that you go to Tulumben....if you go to Lembongan you may be tempted to sign on for Manta Point or Crystal Bay if the op you choose isnt 100% safety conscious. These are not sites for newly certified divers. Bali Dive Academy/Scubali will look after you.

Hi,

I wouldn't be too concerned with the 18 mt limitation (you're not going to have necessarily better dives just because you go deeper)
and would focus mostly on the quality of your OWD and getting experience. Once comfortable under water and in full control of your buoyancy then do the AOW- it may even be in these vacations :)

Padangbai is my preferred destination in Bali (for the whole diving and non-diving experience) and I can recommend Geko dive- probably other good dive centres there but haven't tried them.

Cheers

LifeSauntering - Travel and scuba diving blog with a dash of photography - Travel and scuba diving blog with a dash of photography
Lifesauntering | Facebook

I have used Joes gone diving in Sanur They are safety conscious and look after you. I stayed in Sanur rather than Kuter. Better meals and no sell you everything crap.

We went to Tulumben with "Joes Gone Diving, as well as Manta Bay and Crystal Bay. If you tell them what you want, they will package a dive package to suit you. Say hi to them from me "Peter Findlay from Australia. We have dived there twice and will go back gain and use them. They booked cheap accommodation for us as well, which was walking distanced from them as well as great eatery places. We were very happy with the dive company and the accommodation. We like cheap, clean and suitable accommodation. It is usually close to the beach front where you can walk down and find a suitable eatery.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'll check out those locations and the dive companies and resorts.

Do you think it's best to go with PADI over SSI?

I have used both. Either is fine. My OW, AOW, and 5 specialties were with SSI, and my DM was with PADI. I now use TDI for everything else. Its no big deal in the end. Whatever works for you. You don't have to owe anyone any loyalty, as it doesn't really benefit you in any way. Mostly people use whatever agency is close and LDS is good.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'll check out those locations and the dive companies and resorts.

Do you think it's best to go with PADI over SSI?

No matter what agency you use, what really matters is to find a good instructor. Ask who will doing your course, what experience they have and try to find out whether they can make themselves available to answer questions and queries you may have. Try to avoid diver factories where one instructor has to split his/her time between 8 students...

If you have such long time and budget permit. I will go for both locations. Tulamben or Amed to do your open water. And after move to Lembongan for an Advanced course. This will allow you to dive in many differents enviroments what will enrich your expirience and your learning. Which didactic you use is not really important, as Cedric said, what really matter is the instructor and the school you use.

Please feel free to check our website for Lembongan. Planet Nomadas|Dive lembongan,buceo lembongan,surf lembongan|Lembongan

I wouldn't go to Lembongan for OW. Currents can be very strong at some sites, and other sites can be downright dangerous.

Tulamben is a safe bet. Padang Bai is ok too, but check the water temperatures. It can get cold sometimes (22 degrees C, need a 5mm).

If your main priority is safety and professionalism, I highly recommend Living Seas Asia. Home - Living Seas Bali
Pretty hard to beat, but they will not be the cheapest. They are a GUE centre so you know what kind of standards you can expect with regards to equipment, safety, gas cleanliness etc.

I like staying at Matahari (great house reef, great value for money) but wouldn't recommend them for your OW course. Have heard good things about Seraya, though I've never been there.

Back
Top Bottom