Anyone been to Wakatobi recently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to Wakatobi in October and have booked an expensive package that includes a week on the Pelagian liveaboard followed by some land based dives at the resort itself. If any of you have done this within the past 12 months or so, may I ask for a mini-report please?

I am going to Wakatobi in October and have booked an expensive package that includes a week on the Pelagian liveaboard followed by some land based dives at the resort itself. If any of you have done this within the past 12 months or so, may I ask for a mini-report please?

We are looking at doing the same and would also be interested in reports.

Not to be a downer but a recent article in Undercurrent put me off Watakobi. That and the $$$$$ involved!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was just at the Seattle Scuba & H2O Adventure Show where we had a booth. Although the show was slower than last year, I did not mind as we were able to spend more time talking with divers about their past and future trips. Wakatobi was represented at the show. I did speak directly with two couples who recently been to Wakatobi. They did enjoy their trip but the impression I got from all parties was that the diving is good and the resort is good but there are other resorts and liveaboards that offer better value for the dollar. If a client wants to spend big bucks and impress their friends with "I've been to Wakatobi," I have no problem with that, but I believe Indonesia / PNG / Fiji have a myriad of resorts that offer an equal experience for less money. This is of course the opinion of 4 divers and I cannot offer any trip details.

I did speak directly with two couples who recently been to Wakatobi. They did enjoy their trip but the impression I got from all parties was that the diving is good and the resort is good but there are other resorts and liveaboards that offer better value for the dollar.
I also get this impression with the feedback I have from the few of my friends/relations who went to Wakatobi in the past 3 years.
Raja Ampat and Komodo get a LOT more positive reviews esp. for the diving side.

I imagine their marketing budget must be costing them a fortune. I can't remember which online magazine but it was quite recent. Something about the best spots to dive around the world and they had a 3 page "article" in the middle of the magazine right after the Wakatobi reef was mentioned as a must dive spot. I realize magazines need ad revenue but ads are one thing, prepaid skewed articles another. That's why I research any trips here first!! :)

Our LDS is going next year and my wife and I signed up for two reasons: 1) We love the group and will be thrilled to hang with them for 11 days plus 3 in Bali. 2) A couple we know who we have done dive trips with did their 25th wedding anniversary there 6 months ago and still exclaim over it. They went in wanting a high end, "luxury" experience with great diving because it was their anniversary. They feel they got it and more. Based on all my SB reading and other friends who travel Indonesia, if it was just my wife and me, we might choose something cheaper and Raja and Komodo are now the "in spots"...for good reason from what I hear. However, I'll pay extra to enjoy this trip with good pals in our LDS group. It does make the experience even better as far as we're concerned.
Hintermann, you're already booked and committed. Don't fret about whether you made the absolute best choice, because you already made it. From our dive shop owner (who was there 2 years ago), doing the live aboard for half your stay was a great choice..that's what we'll be doing. Feel good about your decision and think positive thoughts about the trip. Set your expectations along the lines of a recent post about a Raja trip that got totally ruined by weather and bad crew. Nothing is certain. Enjoy! Please post a report afterwards.

Rob

I have not been there in the last 12 months. Friends have. It was not their first trip there. However, I have been there twice and have also been on the Pelagian, none recent. I also know some people who on the Pelagian within the last two years. Here's my opinion and it includes the hearsay from others I know.

In a 5 star rating system, I would rate the diving at Wakatobi a 4. It is quite diverse with excellent macro, walls, corals, and fish life. It is not on par with Raja or Komodo, which I consider 5 star. There are other 5 star diving places, but they are generally a narrower focus, e.g. macro or big animals.

Room, food, and comfort are 5 star. Diving is a bit regimented, but efficient. It is well run, despite a constant churning of staff. You will have a great time. You will not be unhappy, especially if you haven't done Indonesia diving. (I've done 13 trips). The food and food choices are outstanding. The rooms are as roomy as you could possibly need. The amenities are plenty good enough.

The Pelagian is luxurious, but we didn't like the boat. Four great rooms and one crappy room. Nice inside lounging, but little outside lounging area. The diving away from the resort wasn't as good as the resort. I would give it a 3. The only advantage is that it holds a max of ten divers. While your dive boat at Wakatobi may have only 12 divers, the resort may have 50+ guests.

Two biggest complaints are about the pricing and there are plenty of Lorenz haters: While prices have gone up dramatically (we paid $2880 for 10 days which included the charter flight), it is not crazy compared to a top notch Raja liveaboard, which can run $500pp per day or even more. As for Lorenz, the nominal owner, once you get to know him, he's not very likable. No worries, you probably won't get to know him or even meet him.

Recent reports indicate no major changes with my old views. I'd rather book the resort than the Pelagian. There are those out there that feel the opposite. BTW, the house reef is among my personal ten best dives sites I've experienced and plan to write about, but you must do it several times. That's my take, good and bad, but just remember, regardless of whether it's the greatest diving in Indonesia (it's not), you will greatly enjoy the diving and the resort.

I was wondering about this. I just got a quote from my local dive travel agent for a trip to Wakatobi and it was obscene (almost Aus$9000 for a 7 day trip, only 5 diving days...Yeah, no). I've already dived numerous times in North Sulawesi at Lembeh and Bunaken, and in Bali.

Based on the experiences of people here, does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative to Wakatobi? It doesn't need to be an upmarket resort, but somewhere with similar kind of diving? Or is Wakatobi really that special to justify the cost?

Based on the experiences of people here, does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative to Wakatobi? It doesn't need to be an upmarket resort, but somewhere with similar kind of diving? Or is Wakatobi really that special to justify the cost?

Raja Ampat (Papua explorers, RADL, Sorido, MIsool, ), Komodo (Komodo resort), Alor (Alor Eco Divers)...I guess you've not been to Bangka (Gangga island resort) in your stays in N/Sulawesi.

Back
Top Bottom