North Sulawesi - Bangka Island - Travel Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KrisM

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I've been reading for the forums about North Saulawesi, some great information on here :) However I've got a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with.

Time permitting (unsure of exact dates/number of days yet) I'm hoping to visit:

Bunaken National Park (3 days), Bangka (4 days, I love soft coral and from what I've read this should fit the bill) and Lambeh (3days).

However I've got some concerns about the boat trip between the main land of North Sulawesi and Bangka Island. My partner doesn't dive and doesn't really like boats (makes diving trips tricky!) I was hoping someone could help me out with some details about the boat options that are available for the short trip? If possible I'd like to be able to show he pictures of the boats to hopefully convince her she will be fine.

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Thanks
Kris

As mentioned above Murex offers land combination for Manado/Bunaken (not worth staying on Bunaken) Bangka and Lembeh.

If your partner is not really happy with boats, you can land transfer from Manado to Bangka, which is IMO the best way to do it. takes 2h in the morning and you're ready to dive in the afternoon in Bangka.
There are no dives -between Manado and Bangka that you won't be able to do from one of the locations, hence it's no big deal taking a car between the two locations, you won't miss anything. Then the short channel crossing between Mainland and Bangka island is a matter of 15 minutes, the boats are somehow "flat" and 8-9 meters long, nothing like a fishing boat.

Go here ...

Murex Bangka | Murex Dive Resorts

... and scroll down to the second set of pictures. One picture, showing two boats, is shot from Bangka, with North Sulawesi in the background. Your boat ride is about a half mile longer than what you see in the picture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom