Komodo Liveaboard, Single Occupancy? June or July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mikkni

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi!

I'm landing in Bali on the 21st of June and have 4 weeks. I really want to do a Komodo liveaboard and first of all I was wondering if there is a major difference between June and July? From what I've read the weather starts getting rough, does this mean that the southern parts of Komodo are off limits? I think I would like to visit the southern parts since they are not accessible by land.

Another thing is that I will most likely be travelling alone and the liveaboards I've found (thanks to this great forum) have ~40% extra fee if you're a single occupant. Has anyone done a Komodo liveaboard alone and have some recommendations of good liveaboards?

I'm very thankful for any input or recommendations, it's my first time going to Indonesia and I'm so looking forward to it!

If Indonesia liveaboards are like in Thailand, the fee for single occupancy is more likely 80% extra. If I were you, I would just accept staying with a stranger in your cabin and spend the money you save on another liveaboard trip right after the first one! If you have 4 weeks, then you have time :)

If Indonesia liveaboards are like in Thailand, the fee for single occupancy is more likely 80% extra. If I were you, I would just accept staying with a stranger in your cabin and spend the money you save on another liveaboard trip right after the first one! If you have 4 weeks, then you have time :)

Thanks for your reply! I definitely don't have a problem sharing a cabin, but I haven't found an alternative where there is an option of sharing it. I guess the extra fee is if they can't find any other single occupant to share and thus can't rent out the cabin to 2 people... I will inquire some of the liveaboards and see what they say. Would still be nice to hear from some other people travelling alone and hear their stories though :)

Are there no liveaboards where you sleep on the deck or something similar? I don't really need a cabin, I just want to dive :D

Mermaid liveaboards does not charge for single occupancy as long as you don't mind sharing. Both mermaid 1 and 2 leave bali and return to bali so no flights within indonesia. I have been on both vessels and have enjoyed each. Both boats do a similar route but mermaid 1 has 3 extra days so it is not so rushed. Weather in komodo is very dry. It is one of the driest places on earth. On the island of rinja horseshoe bay is quite protected. In the southern area only manta alley is exposed to weather but we have done it while raining quite hard. I have done 6 komodo trips with mermaid in indonesia and will do more as i enjoy the crews and boats. Some as a single some with a buddy. Mermaid 1 does have a single cabin on the main deck but all the trips i have done it has been booked.

Reactions: Heg
Go to Liveaboards 24 or Diversion Dive Travel. They list availability for Liveaboards all over. Type in date range and destination.

All liveaboards I've gone with or investigated cater fur sharing cabins. The single supplement is for those who specifically do not want to share. Some boats won't mix makes and females solo travelers which also means you can get lucky and still end up with a cabin to yourself. This tends to happen fur me more often then not ��

Mikkni, I've done probably 25 LOBS, mostly traveling on my own. I've yet to see any boat, anywhere, that charges more for a solo diver who is willing to share and, in fact, I've been lucky getting my own room many of those times when there didn't turn out to be another male solo traveler. Boats I've traveled on in Komodo solo are the Dancer, Aurora, Terata, and Siren, but guaranteed you will have no problem with this with any boat you wind up selecting.

Thanks for all of your replies! Unfortunately I've been without an internet connection for some time so I've been unable to reply.

Some good news is that my buddy has been able to allocate time and resources to go on a Liveaboard with me! So no single occupancy anymore.

Now to the task of finding a suitable boat, Wicked Diving seems to be getting a lot of great feedback and seems very interesting. Any other suggestions in case it's fully booked would be much appreciated. I'm looking for something not so expensive but of course I want it to be enjoyable and safe. Via another thread I found Divine Diving and Aridive which seems to be in the same category.

Regarding length, what would you seasoned veterans recommend? Since it's my first liveaboard I'm thinking of a shorter but maybe ~4 nights is too short? How was your first liveaboard experience?

Hi Mikkni!

Just to let you know that the Indo Siren has a special offer from May to September 2015: 10% Off and there is some availability from the 18th to the 28th of July. I invite you to have a look to our Komodo Trip reports :) and to click on the video below so you know what you can expect on board.

If you want to experience all that Komodo has to offer (from North to South), it is better if you do a 10 night cruise. A shorter one will only allow you to experience one part of Komodo.

I hope you will enjoy Komodo!!! It's a really great dive destination!!!

[video=vimeo;120237057]https://vimeo.com/120237057[/video]

Back
Top Bottom