Seeking current advice for Bangka accommodations/dive ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mountainsean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks-

Looks like I'll be able to spend a few days on Bangka next month. I've tried to research the available dive and stay options, and looks like the choices are: Murex, Coral Eye, Nomad, Mimpi Indah, and Blue Bay (Gangga is too pricey for what I need). They all look quite good, and I've read decent reviews of many of them here on SB, but most of those reviews seem to be a few years old. TripAdvisor has more current reviews and ranks Coral Eye at the top, followed by Nomad and Murex, but I don't see much mention of Coral Eye or Nomad here on SB. Any current (say, within the last year or two) experiences with any of these ops? I'm sure I'll have a great time at any of them, but any personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean

And you're following TripAdvisor ranking for dive centres... oh well...
Like you said lots of good first hand reviews re-Murex, Nomad was recently filling up their tanks at Murex operation, wonder why, Coral eye is mostly a research base...
What I can say re Murex the last op I went to last month : bungalows have been renewed, new mattresses, new cook with much better food, there is wifi now, they have aircon from 5PM to 7AM and they have Aswar who is the best dive guide around Bangka. What would you ask more?
if any specific question re-Murex Bangka I can answer, hit me with a PM.

And you're following TripAdvisor ranking for dive centres... oh well...
Like you said lots of good first hand reviews re-Murex, Nomad was recently filling up their tanks at Murex operation, wonder why, Coral eye is mostly a research base...
What I can say re Murex the last op I went to last month : bungalows have been renewed, new mattresses, new cook with much better food, there is wifi now, they have aircon from 5PM to 7AM and they have Aswar who is the best dive guide around Bangka. What would you ask more?
if any specific question re-Murex Bangka I can answer, hit me with a PM.

Hi Luko-

I appreciate the reply, but I'm also confused by it, as your recent post about Murex seemed to reach quite a different conclusion. You wrote:

"Unfortunately this operation [Murex] I used to like very much though have raised their prices significantly over the last year, I wouldn't say it's as interesting as it was (I was in Murex last week) and it looks also they are cutting down on the number of dive guides in Bangka, which means more expensive for less dive guides, not really the way customer value should be driven if you ask me... if budget is one of the main criteria, Murex cannot come at first rank anymore. Nomad divers or Coral eyes would come before."

It was actually your post above that prompted me to start asking around about dive ops other than Murex. In any case it sounds like Murex is a decent facility, but I would like to get some opinions on some of the other options on the island from those who have stayed at them.

-Sean

Oh ok Sean, sorry for the confusion, I should have bolded the important words :"if budget is one of the main criteria".
Unfortunately they have become the priciest operation in Bangka, Gangga apart of course.

Another repeat customer for Murex Bangka here - the improvements Luko spoke of are part of the price rise along - however, Id still use Murex. Love the cabins.

Blue Bay Divers is also worth looking in to. Stunning little resort, good food, well run, and you get live . Ask for Yaps, he is an incredible guide. I have a review about it from a little while back and they get a 5 star rating on Trip Advisor, which I use a lot too :wink:
They don't have AC ... but neither do Coral Eye and Nomad.
Looking at Nomad from the sea side I would suggest BBD is a definitely a lot more scenic/ pretty.
I have no idea about Coral Eye.

Stayed at Blue Bay few years ago and had a great time. For recent reports ( total over 110 reports for Blue Bay Diver !!) look into taucher.net a german dive forum subforum indonesien/sulawesi. Just use some kind of tranlation software, unless you master german.

Blue Bay Divers is also worth looking in to. Stunning little resort, good food, well run, and you get live . Ask for Yaps, he is an incredible guide. I have a review about it from a little while back and they get a 5 star rating on Trip Advisor, which I use a lot too :wink:
They don't have AC ... but neither do Coral Eye and Nomad.
Looking at Nomad from the sea side I would suggest BBD is a definitely a lot more scenic/ pretty.
I have no idea about Coral Eye.

Second this opinion of Blue Bay, and Yaps is one of the finest guides I've dove with anywhere. I've stayed at Murex twice and personally prefer Blue Bay over it

Thanks for the feedback thusfar. I was able to rule out both Blue Bay and Coral Eye, as they don't offer nitrox, and given how many dives I plan to do over a short weekend, I want the extra safety margin.

-Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom