Lembeh Resort or Kasawari or KBR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calliejlong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I have been looking at a place to stay for a scuba diving/underwater photo adventure in Lembeh. I have heard good things about Kasawari from a dive friend but noticed that reviews of late were not good on tripadvisor for the resort. I also noticed that Lembeh Resort is rated number 1. Kungkungan Bay Resort looks intriguing as well. Does anyone have any recommendations on which would be the best place to stay? I am looking for a nice clean room, best dive guide (this is a priority), good food, etc. I am not real worried about costs either. I would appreciate any advice that you have. Many thanks in advance!

I can't comment on the other two resorts, but the time that I spent at KBR was the my favorite ever. Ask for Ronnie as your guide. I have been all over and he is by far the best guide I have ever had.

Jackie

I have only dived at Lembeh Resort, going back again in just over a month for the third time.

It's number 1 for a reason, 5 star resort with great staff, the diving is the same as for all the other resorts.

I stayed at Kasawari some years ago. All very nice with a great camera room. I would say that they catered very heavily to the more serious (meaning DSLR with lots of equipment) folks and had no issue with them not "sharing" finds. The dive guides were, IMHO, over aggressive at getting the critters out to be seen. I understand that this is motivated by tipping.

My wife and I stayed at Kasawari (KLR) around 2009. It was our first "luxury" dive resort, and we wanted to see what that was like. I had it in my head that KLR was the most luxurious of the three (KLR, KBR and LR). We were indeed impressed. Our room was magnificent, with its own private tropical garden out back with an outdoor shower. But from what I've read since that time, KBR and LR are essentially in the same class.

Echoing what abernat said about the guides, our biggest complaint is that our guide prodded a poor wonderpus out of hiding, only to be gobbled up by a scorpionfish. Wherever you decide to go, please tell your guide you prefer not disturbing the animals.

I book all three resorts and rarely have a complaint. To me it is a bit like picking a Ford or a Chevy, a bit of brand loyalty without a lot of difference in the product. When I have folks interested in Lembeh, I often recommend some options like Maluku Divers in Ambon, and area known as "critters without crowds." Great resort, great diving, fewer people. Another option I suggest is Black Sand Dive Retreat...first class. Of course Two Fish Divers is also excellent in Lembeh. Another neat option is a 3 resort trip with the two Murex Resorts (Manado and Bangka) and Lembeh as sister resorts with the same owner.

Another neat option is a 3 resort trip with the two Murex Resorts (Manado and Bangka) and Lembeh as sister resorts with the same owner.

That is exactly what I have planned for this year with an extension on Lembeh resort at the end :D

That is exactly what I have planned for this year with an extension on Lembeh resort at the end :D
Been there, done that (march/april).... was great.

1- That's for Mainland and Bunaken.

The rest is in this gallery.

2- This for Bangka,
take Aswar as your guide, he's simply the best on this area, diving it everyday for 10 years or so.

The rest in this gallery

3-... and finally for Lembeh
Get Maykel for a guide, he's very good, especially on nudis. He has a photographic eye too, will help with lighting or anything photo.

The rest in this gallery

Thanks for sharing the pictures Luko, they are beautiful. Makes me want to be there now! Curious about Ambon...is it better than Lembeh? Wish we could hit up both places but my son wants to surf in Bali for 10 days first so that cuts our time diving shorter than I would like!

Thanks for sharing the pictures Luko, they are beautiful. Makes me want to be there now! Curious about Ambon...is it better than Lembeh? Wish we could hit up both places but my son wants to surf in Bali for 10 days first so that cuts our time diving shorter than I would like!
There are certainly a lot more rhinopias in Ambon than in Lembeh, on the other hand there could be more variety in certain species, more dive sites (but too many divers and resorts) in Lembeh.
You can also alternate blue water and muck dives in Ambon if you select conveniently located resorts, i find Lembeh getting more and more expensive too.
There is a kind of softadventure feel in Ambon you don't get in Lembeh.

That said it's probably the season that will drive your choice, if you go in Bali between May and september, this is when Ambon is not diveable anymore, hence ony Lembeh would be left.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom