Info about Indo waiving visa on arrival requirements for U.S.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmneus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What I've read from the Jakarta Post, so this is 3rd hand, is that the waiver is only for 30 days or less. It cannot be extended.

I always stay more than 30 days, so that means I'll need to apply with the Indonesian Consulate for an extended Visa before I go - as usual.

"Under the new regulation, as quoted from the Cabinet Secretariat website, permits will be given for a 30-day stay in Indonesia, which cannot be extended or converted into any other type of visa.

It also stipulates that only immigration units located at five airports and four ports are allowed to issue visa exemptions. The units are located at Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Jakarta, Ngurah Rai International Airport in Bali, Kualanamu International Airport in Medan, Hang Nadim International Airport in Batam and Juanda International Airport in Surabaya."

We thought this was going to be implemented in April before my Raja Ampat trips, but were disappointed. Don't see any news about when this might actually be put into effect. Everything is just news that it's been signed.

---------- Post added June 15th, 2015 at 04:29 PM ----------

I found the article on the Indonesia Cabinet Secretariat website:

Tourists From these 45 Countries Free Tourist Visa to Indonesia | Sekretariat Kabinet Republik Indonesia

I don't see Manado listed, so I guess I will still have to pay on arrival next month.

And still don't know when it might actually get put in place at immigration in those airports & ports. I hope before my Nov. trips. But then $35 is only a tiny fraction of the cost of a dive trip or holiday. Not concerned about it except that it's a PITA to have to have the payment ready on arrival.

Not concerned about it except that it's a PITA to have to have the payment ready on arrival.
You could pay in any currency, they'd give the money back in IDR.
The real PITA for me was to queue twice for buying the visa and going through the immigration desk to get it stamped.

FYI, I got a feedback from a french diver that in DPS it was already effective yesterday : clerks were redirecting the free visa passport holders to the immigration desk.

As Luko said, the lining up twice was annoying, made more so to me because I'd already be tired and the passenger traffic routing required me to backtrack.

The second queue was a PITA and if you didn't have the right amount of US$ notes in mint perfect condition, they would happily take rupiah or a few other currencies at ridiculous exchange rates. Yes, it's not much money but the principle of it all really starts off trips there on a sour note.

Nice~! They originally passed this months ago but it got stopped cold due to internal politics.

Now I need the Jakarta airport hotel to open up.

Thanks for the info everyone! Another $35 doesn't exactly break the bank but it is an additional cost when you're a budget traveler/diver. Not having to wait in that extra line at the airport would be SO nice..... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom