Approx 24 hours in Bali - what to do!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmneus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone! I know there is TONS of info on Bali here, I'm not asking for that, I know most of the sights to see and all about where the diving is, etc.
My question is.....what would you do with about 24 hours in Bali? On our way home from Komodo we arrive at DPS at about 3:30PM and our plane leaves DPS the following day at 7PM.
We don't party, we like peace and quiet, I want to see a temple and rice terraces while there. I have no interest in the Monkey Forrest.
On our last trip the evening before and the entire day of our flight was basically wasted because the sig other didn't want to leave the immediate area....it drove me insane.
I was thinking a few scenarios...
A) Spend the night near Uluwatu and watch the sunset at the temple, but what would we do the following day before the flight leaves?
B) Head straight for Ubud - spend the night in Ubud, in the morning tour Tegallalang Rice Terreces (or other) and see a temple, spend extra time in Ubud if there is any and then head to the airport
B) Combination of the two....spend the night near Uluwatu, in the morning drive up near Ubud and see Tegallalang Rice Terraces (or other) and a temple then head to the airport.

In your opinion, which temple should we visit?
What time would you leave Ubud to make it to DPS with a little cushion time?
Do you suggest hiring a driver for this entire time?

Basically.....what would you do?

Thanks!!!

Christine

Whatever you do, make sure you lesve lots of time to get back to the airport.

Personally I would spend your first night at Ubud - can recommend Sankala for peace and quite with a handy free shuttle into Ubud then spend the night before you leave at somewhere like Abi Bali Villa in Jimbaran so you can explore nearby Ulawata and be much closer to the airport. Both these hotels offer airport transfer, peaceful, very clean with great rooms and service but not too far away from local attractions.

Wingy, we only have one night....from what you said it sounds like you thought we had two nights? However, your suggestion to head to Ubud right away is helpful and I am googling your recommendation now. I would rather see the area around Ubud anyway, I just wasn't sure if there was decent time.
Our flight is at 7PM and we would want to arrive at DPS at 5PM what time do you think leaving Ubud is good? 1PM? 2PM?
(I obsess about details, I apologize for that....)

My guess would be to be sure you're on your way no later than 3pm. And by that I mean vehicle is packed seat belts buckled and vehicle in gear, gas petal engaged . :)

Hiya -

I think Wingy and Chilly's advice is sound - if it was me then I would head straight to Ubud. I don't really know Uluwatu but it strikes me that there's not a lot to do there if you're not diving or surfing, apart from visit the temple on the cliff and get molested by monkeys!

Ubud is about an hour from Denpasar on a good day, whilst Uluwatu is about 30 mins I think, although I've never made that particular journey. Last time I tried to get out of Denpasar airport on my way back from KL it took me well over an hour to get out of the airport! That was almost 2 years ago however so hopefully the new airport has improved things a little!

There's some nice - but very touristy - temples in the centre of Ubud with nightly cultural shows, and there are lots of lovely places to eat - then off in the morning to the rice fields. There's plenty of options for organised tours, or you could hire a driver or even rent a scooter from your hotel. Avoid the street taxi hawkers like the plague!

I'd also agree with chilly's schedule of leaving Ubud no later than 3pm. I've actually never had a real problem with traffic in that part of Bali - slow sometimes but mostly flowing. I would always add an extra hour to get to the airport but that just meant I was hanging around at Denpasar for a bit longer than necessary, but I'd rather be doing that than risk missing the flight. And it is Bali, after all. There are buses available and the service I had was good but that was between Ubud and Sanur. Check with your homestay for better information - I left in May 2014 so I'm a little out of date!

Hope that helps - ans day Hi to Ubud if you make it there!

Cheers

Crowley

Yes, apologies I did misread your post...which I'm going to blame on arriving and checking into a hotel in Seminyak at 2.15am following an 11.05pm flight touchdown..which is why I always leave myself as much wriggle room as possible in Bali.
Crowley and Chilly are on the mark. Ubud is popular for funerals which can result in traffic gridlock around the main temple opposite the markets for a few hours..while fascinating to watch a funeral day can make a trip to Ubud a test of patience. Im with Chilly, I would not leave anytime after 2pm at the latest. If you would like PM me for a driver who is reliable and knowledgeable about Ubud. Also, apologies again...hotel Sankara...think I was a wee bit on the tired side ��

Hello everyone! I know there is TONS of info on Bali here, I'm not asking for that, I know most of the sights to see and all about where the diving is, etc.
My question is.....what would you do with about 24 hours in Bali? On our way home from Komodo we arrive at DPS at about 3:30PM and our plane leaves DPS the following day at 7PM.
We don't party, we like peace and quiet, I want to see a temple and rice terraces while there. I have no interest in the Monkey Forrest.
On our last trip the evening before and the entire day of our flight was basically wasted because the sig other didn't want to leave the immediate area....it drove me insane.
I was thinking a few scenarios...
A) Spend the night near Uluwatu and watch the sunset at the temple, but what would we do the following day before the flight leaves?
B) Head straight for Ubud - spend the night in Ubud, in the morning tour Tegallalang Rice Terreces (or other) and see a temple, spend extra time in Ubud if there is any and then head to the airport
B) Combination of the two....spend the night near Uluwatu, in the morning drive up near Ubud and see Tegallalang Rice Terraces (or other) and a temple then head to the airport.

In your opinion, which temple should we visit?
What time would you leave Ubud to make it to DPS with a little cushion time?
Do you suggest hiring a driver for this entire time?

Basically.....what would you do?

Thanks!!!

Christine

+1 for spending the night in Ubud (I share your feelings about the Monkey Forest) If you're a foodie, I'd enthusiastically recommend Mozaic Mozaic Restaurant - Mozaic Bali If not, go to one of the many performances in the Temples

Similar situation, but I'm planning on a few days post cruise in Bali. Is more diving a little nuts after a 10d/11n Arenui Komodo cruise?

Should we overnight in Lubanbajo? Was planning on overnighting near the airport in Jakarta, leaving for lbj in the morning. CGK is easier to get to on points vs DPS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk H

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom