Bali suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

romancoat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to Bali in November for five days, and of course, I need to dive at least one of those days. The challenge is that this is a family trip -- I'll be there with my sister, her husband, and their 11-month old baby, and my 69-year old parents. They would prefer to stay somewhere quiet, with a sandy beach, so they can relax and just hang out. My sister is doing the initial research and was saying something about Seminyak, although we haven't actually booked anything yet. From there, how easy is it to get to some diving, as it seems the diving resorts tend to be on the eastern side? I'm not planning on photographing anything as I mostly just like looking, so I don't NEED to see anything rare. Most of my dives have been in Anilao, so some nice pelagic stuff would be great to see, but I also know that's not what the area is known for. My favorites are turtles and nudis (I'm easy to please).

Any suggestions on where to stay that will be fine for my family but is accessible to diving, and which operators?

Thanks!

No diving in Seminyak, look at areas of Bali like Tulumben or Padang Bai or opt for a day or two at Lembongan island - as an operator I've always had good service from Bali Dive Academy/Scubali.

My friend took his whole family to the Alila Manggis just outside Padangbai, and they loved it. I've been there too, and would love to return. You do do some great dives from Padangbai and I recommend Geko Divers.

Hmm, Padangbai looks like it could be an option as it seems to have a sandy beach? I also will need to figure out if we can do a day trip to Ubud from there as that's one of the places we want to see. If a day trip is too far and isn't an option, maybe we can arrange something where we go directly to Ubud when we arrive, stay there overnight, then spend the rest of the time near the water.

Padang Bai main beach is used by the fishermen, so although you can still use it, it will not be empty by any imagination. There are two other beaches reached from Padang Bai; Blue Lagoon, and Bias Tugel.

Blue Lagoon is smaller, has more facilities (small restaurants, toilets, sun loungers), and lots to see in the shallows if your family like to snorkel.

Bias Tugel is the local's beach; great for mixing with the Balinese, still has a couple of places selling cheap food, no toilets as such, but a great stretch of sand, hidden away up and over the hill behind the police station. Turtles can be spotted here if you snorkel in the bay.

Both beaches can have strong currents at certain times of the day, so keep weak swimmers close to shore, or use a snorkel vest/life jacket. Check with the locals about the water conditions if you are unsure.

Happy, safe diving.

You might consider staying at a nice hotel, we stayed in Rama Candidasa which was fabulous -- nice pool and restaurant by the ocean, no beach though. We paid $115 for a two-room suite but as it's November you might be able to bargain them down or get a better price on the internet before you go.

The best diving in Bali (aside from an expensive nature park in Bali's northwesternmost corner) is on Nusa Penida - an hour's boat ride away from PB. Candidasa is about a 20 -minute drive to Padang Bai which is where the dive boats leave from. We used Geko Dive Bali and liked them a lot. The Amed area might have some good diving -- we didn't get there (yet). Geko Dive can get you there.

Ubud is at least an hour's drive from any diving, but it has many more hotel options and things to do. And more tourists, but you'll be going off-season (as off-season as there is in Bali).

- Bill

The best diving in Bali (aside from an expensive nature park in Bali's northwesternmost corner) is on Nusa Penida - an hour's boat ride away from PB.
Seems like your forgot a number of spots in Bali...
Nusa Penida is very good for big fish or blue water dives,
Tulamben area is Excellent for macro and critter dives, apart from the beautiful, coral covered, liberty wreck, which is probably the one dive in Bali you cannot miss.
Padang Bai diving is very good too for rhinopias lovers "the jetty" is a kind of heaven... you can also acess to amazingly fish packed dives, and molamolas on season, on Gili Tepekong and Gili Mimpang.
Amed provides good wall, reef diving I like the Japanse wreck, which too for macro and nudibranches, especially at night.
finally Menjangan and Pemuteran areas NW of Bali would come last in my list on the areas to dive, a pain to get to, and nothing really special compared to other spots in Bali.

From Padang bai you could dive Padang Bai / Nusa Penida for sure maybe Amed & Tulamben.
From Amed or Tulamben you could dive Amed / Tulamben for sure, maybe Padang Bai.

Try Nusa Lembongan. Beautiful beach/cliff views, plenty of nice resorts, and dive centers everywhere.
And most importantly it is family friendly, with plenty of activities for non divers.

Hi Roman,
Can you give us a bit more insight on your dive experience and level of comfort? There are plenty of great sites to choose from when diving from Padang Bai, but some of them can have strong currents and some depth to them. If i know more, I can adviser you better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom