Raja Ampat LOB with solar eclipse viewing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kittikat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It's a long shot, but has anyone come across LOB tour offer with 2016 solar viewing?

There will be few places in Indonesia where you can see the solar eclipse: Palu (Sulawesi), Ternate/Tidore (N Maluku), Palembang (Sumatra), and Belitung (Sumatra).

I found 2 tour operators based in Europe so far. The itinerary will start from Raja Ampat, then to North Maluku (I just assume this bcs they didn't specify where), then back to Raja Ampat again. One of them already sold out, and the other one is almost fully booked. They are too luxurious for my budget anyway :depressed:

Since I live in Jakarta, I'd already asked around the local operators but nothing so far.

Thanks.

Have you checked with the land resorts? Also, there's many more than two lobs diving the area. Hang in there.

I've heard from one boat owner (who isn't chasing after the eclipse) that Raja Ampat will be deserted of boats during that time. That many already have full charters and are heading over to Halmahera area for viewing.

Dear Kittikat, I am afraid you are two years too late. Our Weda Resort is fully booked for the period of the solar eclipse since 2013. I think the same is true for hotels and other places to stay at Ternate, Tidore and as far as Maba in East Halmahera.

I am so glad I wrote this post
05.gif

Great information from everyone, and makes it so much easier for me to decide.
I definitely prefer LOB over land base for Raja Ampat, and it sounds like a great timing to go there in March.

Wisnu, thanks. If my buddy still prefers the solar eclipse, then we will most likely pick Donggala. I hope Prince John still have some space left.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Make sure you are on the center line or near it. This NASA - Total Solar Eclipse of 2016 Mar 09 has a map with the eclipse path with totality. You can put the pointer at a place and it will tell you the times for the eclipse.

Totality is an extraordinary experience. A partial is meh. A few meters can make a huge difference in what you see. Also make sure you get eclipse glasses far in advance. A couple of years ago I tried to order some a couple of months in advance and every vendor in the US was sold out. And this was for an eclipse outside of the country.

Five years ago, eclipse trips were announced a year or less in advance. In the ensuing years, trips have gotten much more popular and trips for this eclipse were announced over a year ago (more than two years in advance of the eclipse). I booked a trip on a ship with diving that is going from the Solomons to PNG to Micronesia and then ending in Palau. It is the most expensive trip I've ever done (by a factor of 2 to 3) but I'm hoping it will be worth it. There is still room but it is really, really pricy.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom