Raja Empat Islands/Papua Barat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neilstewart

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know about these islands of Papua New Guinea. I am told that this is the most bio-diverse location in the world 283 fish species and 400 coral species indentified in a single 80 minute dive. Diving is now possible from the islands and liveaboard out of Bali. I am considering this for early next year and would appreciate any thoughts. A concern of mine is the safety of the area.

Neil

If you do - I'd love a job like yours... I don't know - Similan in December, PNG early next year... PLEEEZ can I go in your suitcase?

I will try to find out about Raja Empat for you - have friends who operate a liveaboard out of Lombok... maybe they're going over there? Will check and get back to you soonest.

Have a good weekend y'all - off to the beach for my bi-monthly dose of bubble blowing...

Cheers

Hi Alison

Yes I do have a day job with 5 weeks annual holiday. Good use of national holidays and weekends mean I can get out of the country diving for 52 days this year. No kids, no mortgage takes care of the money side of things.

I met up with a tour operator on a stand at London Dive Show last sunday and discussed a trip with them, they had a Bali liveaboard operator with them although not at the time I was there who was doing Raja Empat, Irian Jaya trips. I searched the web and found www.kararu.com who seam to go but it is very seasonal. Komodo looks a good bet as well. I am thinking around easter next year, obviously to use up to 3 national holidays.

Whilst at the show I have found the trip for you!!!

The Shark Research Institute www.sharks.org a non-profit organisation organise research trips that you can join for a charge/donation. La Paz is $1150 but you can join them in their whale shark research, so far they have tagged 160 whale sharks. They also take DNA samples and use a spotter plane to find sharks and manta's and will teach you to help them. There are also trips to Galapagos, where I undertstand the Galapagos National Parks will be allowing them to use a new research station facility from next year. As a non-profit organisation and provided they register in the UK, a donation would be tax deductable effectively dropping the price by 40%. Imagine that tax deductable whale shark diving!!!! magic. I met Dr. Alex Antoniou, who is a field director and I'm quite excited about doing this in the future.

My suitcase is allways open.

Neil

It's a fascinating site and I would love to do something like that one day. Yet another thing to save up my pennies for.

Gosh - 5 weeks holidays? That would be soooo nice, as compared to my 6 DAYS... However, cannot complain - had the holiday of a lifetime. Now concentrating on work (trying to) and learning how to fold myself up really small to fit into a corner of your luggage!

Still waiting for a reply from my mates in Lombok.

Back
Top Bottom