new to this and need answers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjcurry

Reaction score
hi my names matt and im considering trying scuba diving. ive snorkeled a couple times in lake simcoe and i really liked that i figured i should try scuba. How do i get into diving and what/where are the courses i take??

thanx for the input!

Welcome to the board.
Check out your yellow pages and find out what dive shops are close by then go and visit them. You will be looking to take a basic open water class. Talk to the instructors if you can. Don't worry about a specific agency. The instructor is what makes or breaks a class. See if you can talk to some recent students and get their take on the class they had. I'm going to let others throw in their 2psi here because I know your next question is going to be, "What do I ask them?" A couple off the top of my head are about class size and amount of time spent practicing skills. I'd ask the recent students if they had fun during the course and if they felt rushed at all.
This could be a fun and informative thread. Be sure to keep us updated on your progress.

Joe

Welcome to the board!
What he said!

Joe

mjcurry:
hi my names matt and im considering trying scuba diving. ive snorkeled a couple times in lake simcoe and i really liked that i figured i should try scuba. How do i get into diving and what/where are the courses i take??

thanx for the input!
Hello matt- welcome to SB! These folks are so good, not only do they know diving.... they already know your next questions! I love it here and I'm sure you will too. Sideband gave you a lot to start with and once you begin to ask around, you might be surprised how much divers and the diving community in general are willing to help and share knowledge. SB is a great place- for meeting dive buddies, finding dive sites and getting information to help with your classes. Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Welcome Matt,
Sorry Matt, I just reread the greeting and it made me chuckle (welcome mat)LOL.
I don't know what part of Ontario you are from but if you are anywhere near the GTA you will have a number of dive shops to choose from. Look around and find one you feel comfortable with.

It may be helpful to see what kind of after certification activities the shop is involved in. Do they organize local dives, or mostly dives to exotic locations? Are they affiliated with a dive club? Is the shop oriented towards simple recreational diving or are they big into tech diving? These questions are not related to the class itself, but rather the kind of divers/diving you may be exposed to once you are certified. If you already have friends who dive this may not be an issue.

Good luck,
Jeffrey

Looks like you've already received good answers. I did some snorkeling, a few resort dives, and simply signed up for scuba lessons. I didn't investigate expectations, but things went great and I had fun. Your approach is better.

Be sure to check our New Divers forum, and PM me if I can help you around here...

don :cowboy:

Hey Matt! If you are anywhere near the north side of Toronto, send me a PM. I know a great shop with great people. Great divers and alot of fun!

Back
Top Bottom