Returning to Diving after 30 years away

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
After 17 years of marriage I finally convinced my wife to try Scuba -- and she loves it! We just finished the PADI course(s) and now both have the "Advanced OW" certificates.

I was first certified in college with a cert date of 2/2/1967 -- and still have that certificate.

The gear is much better today (although I miss my AquaMaster) -- but the thrill of being with the fish is the same.

I'm looking forward to many wonderful dives.

glad to have you. you were certed before i was born - ha ha ha ha!

I also recently returned to diving after 30 years on the surface. I hope you are enjoying it as much as my wife and I are. May all your dives be great ones and the surface interval a bit shorter. :D :D :D

Peter- Welcome back to the undersea wonderworld!

"The gear is much better today (although I miss my AquaMaster) -- but the thrill of being with the fish is the same."

The gear is Way Way better.. although you get some die hards that still prefer the minimalist approach.

The Diving Science has come in LEAPS and BOUNDS.. makes you wonder how you lived through those previous dives!

The fish all look the same.. however (sadly) there are less of them to be seen, scary that you can see a change in twenty years on a reef makes you wonder if man is gonna make it another 1,000 years.

Eric

Finally you are in pressure group A again.

Welcome

Welcome back! We too had a long SI (12 years) before the wife and I got back with the fish in 2000. Yes the equipement has changed some for sure but for the better. We now seem to only do the warm water diving but intially got our feet wet in some pretty cold water using only wet suits, yikes! Yes even have my Ice Diving Certification and if you don't think that is cold in a wet suit think again, ah to be young a poor, nothing like doing crazy things!
Hope you enjoy the water for many years to come!!!

Hi Peter, welcome to SB, wish I could get my wife to dive, but she barely swims.
David

A big "WELCOME BACK" to Peter Guy and "Hooked-Again"! Glad to have you both back in this wonderful sport, and glad to have you as participants on the Scuba Board.

Have you checked our New Divers forum and your local dive club here? I'm on Utila Island Honduras this week, enjoying a great dive trip, but wanted to log on long enough to welcome new members. Glad you're with us here...

don :cowboy:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom