Greetings from Jocassee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jocasseegirl

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well, I've been reading everyone else's mail for two weeks, so it's time to finally say hello. I'm in the process of getting my OW at Lake Jocassee. I've read that many of you like to dive at Jocassee, and I hope to join your ranks soon. My family owned land in the valley before it was flooded, so I have a real love for the place. You might be interested to know that last year Bill Routh of Off the Wall Diving located my family's old homestead - Attakulla Lodge - still standing completely intact in 300 feet of water. The Lodge is a 3-story hotel which was spared demolition by Duke Power (very long story there). Tri-mix divers have been down 4 times already, and we have another dive planned for Aug. 20-21. It has been an amazing adventure! If you're interested in seeing video, etc., please see my website at www.JocasseeRemembered.com.

On another note . . . I've found it comforting to read that other divers have experienced some of the same P-A-N-I-C symptoms I have felt during my lessons. I've literally had to wear my scuba mask around the house to get used to the way it feels. For someone who has never had any fear of the water, I'm finding this harder for me than I thought it would be. Relax, right? I hear ya'.

Looking forward to hearing your comments.

Hi Jocassegirl. If this is the same Jocasse I'm thinking of in NC, then we are some what neighbors. I'm down in the Concord area. You'll get used to the mask. Finding the right one for your face is the key. Have fun. :D

scubagal00:
Hi Jocassegirl. If this is the same Jocasse I'm thinking of in NC, then we are some what neighbors. I'm down in the Concord area. You'll get used to the mask. Finding the right one for your face is the key. Have fun. :D

Hi, Scubagal00! Thanks for the note. Lake Jocassee does creep a bit into North Carolina, although most of it is in South Carolina. Have you ever dived there?

No, not yet. I hear it is very cold water. The group I am going on the Juliet with over Thanksgiving do a lot of diving there. Burmuda Triangle, heard of them? They are in Asheville, NC.

Hi Jocasseegirl, and welcome to SB, glad to hear you are getting into diving, it may be a while before you're doing any 300 ft dives I would think. It's so funny about what scuba equipment we wear around the house, I like wearing my fins while sipping a cocktail and watching TV. :wink:
David

You girls should check out the Dixie Divers Forum, there are always trips in planning to Juliet and Jocassee.

Welcome to ScubaBoard

It took me while to update my Real play, deselecting all the options, but I finally got the first video rolling. Thanks. You might this in your Signature area.

If you've been here for a couple of weeks, I guess you've found our New Divers forum...??

:cowboy2: don

A few suggestions I do like to offer every new member. First, it's good to keep your Profile with location and Dive Info with number of dives up to date so other members can address any questions appropriately; edit these as possibly needed from your UserCP above or the Quick Links above. Looks like you have already covered that well.

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

DandyDon:
It took me while to update my Real play, deselecting all the options, but I finally got the first video rolling. Thanks. You might this in your Signature area.

If you've been here for a couple of weeks, I guess you've found our New Divers forum...??

:cowboy2: don

A few suggestions I do like to offer every new member. First, it's good to keep your Profile with location and Dive Info with number of dives up to date so other members can address any questions appropriately; edit these as possibly needed from your UserCP above or the Quick Links above. Looks like you have already covered that well.

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

Howdy, DandyDon! Thanks for the friendly greeting. Yes, I've nosed around the New Divers forum a bit. I will be sure to keep my profile up-to-date. So far, I've dived to 4 -- OK, maybe 6 feet! Just had a couple of hours of lessons, mostly practicing skills and getting accustomed to breathing underwater. I'll keep you posted.

Someone earlier mentioned that it will be a while before I dive 300 feet . . . yeah, like an eternity! I never intend to do that - I live vicariously through the video the tri-mix divers bring me.

Great talking with you, and thanks for the tips!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom