Greetings from Edmonton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbittner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just a quick post to say hello. I've been a certified diver since June 1, 2004. I've been intrigued by the idea of diving since I was in elementary school (many, many years ago), so my Open Water certification got me started on seriously working to make up for lost time. I now have Advanced Open water certification, plus Enriched Air Nitrox and Night Diver specialities. I hope to achieve other specialties (Deep, Boat, Peak Performance Buoyancy, UW Navigation) on my way toward Master Scuba Diver status, and hope to achieve other specialties as well, especially UW Naturalist, Dry Suit, and Wreck Diver.

Most of my diving has been done during trips to Maui. So far, all my certifications and specialties have been done through Maui Dreams Dive Co. I have also diving in Australia (3 dives on the Great Barrier Reef), Victoria, BC (8 dives in the "Emerald Sea"), Tobermory, ON (5 wreck dives), and even have one dive here in Edmonton in the "lagoon" in West Edmonton Mall.

My next dive trip will be in November. I'll be going with a group of people to Victoria, BC for four days of diving. Beyond that, I'll be going back to Maui for a week in February, and hope to spend more time there during the summer, as well as a possible trip back to Tobermory, ON.

Welcome to the board!

Joe

Wow.... Maui!!! I want to go

Welcome aboard and congrats towards your goals of Master Scuba Diver.... Keep us updated!

Hello!

How was the mall dive? Got any info on how to schedule a dive there? We find ourselves in Unity, SK each summer and while visiting we've taken a drive to West Edmonton Mall before (it's not that far out of the way considering we drive from Chicago). If it's worthwhile, I'd be interested in checking it out!

devolution365:
Hello!

How was the mall dive? Got any info on how to schedule a dive there? We find ourselves in Unity, SK each summer and while visiting we've taken a drive to West Edmonton Mall before (it's not that far out of the way considering we drive from Chicago). If it's worthwhile, I'd be interested in checking it out!

The Mall dive was actually kind of fun. It was originally supposed to take place on Thursday, March 17, but various other events/factors kept changing the date -- March 14, then April 7 -- another example of Murphy's Law. We were actually all suited up and ready to dive on Thursday, April 7, but the dive staff could not find the release forms (new management had just taken over the running of the Mall, and nothing was where it was supposed to be), so they had to postpone us one more day. The dive did (finally) take place on Friday, April 8. Usually the dive is about 45 minutes long, but because of all the difficulties with scheduling they let us go a full hour. The one complication for the dive was that the submarine ride was operating. Every so often we had to move over to the side to allow a sub to go through. However, this meant that we became the stars of the sub ride: every kid on the sub was madly waving at us through the portholes. Also, while the dive "environment" is clearly artificial, there are a series of fresh water and salt water aquaria all around the outside of the lagoon. Very few places in the world allow you to see reef sharks and lake trout on the same dive!

Dives at the Mall have to be arranged via a dive shop. I signed on for the mall dive with Northwest Scuba here in Edmonton <www.northwestscuba.com>. You have to bring ALL the equipment -- all the mall provides is a change room. (People give you funny looks -- confusion mixed with awe and respect -- as they see you haul a complete dive kit from your car to the "Santa Maria" pirate ship in the lagoon.) You have to check in by 6:30 pm. The dive is scheduled to start at 7:00 pm. Once the mall's divemasters arrive, everyone fills out the release forms and prepares to dive. The dive itself consists of one or two trips around the lagoon. The deepest spot in the lagoon is only about 20 feet, so even air hogs like me finish the dive with some air to spare. The divemasters are available at the end to sign your log books. West Edmonton Mall makes an interesting addition to one's dive history!

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the info. I'd love to do the dive -if for no other reason, just to have W Ed Mall in my divebook :wink:

Seeya around,

devolution365:
Sounds interesting. Thanks for the info. I'd love to do the dive -if for no other reason, just to have W Ed Mall in my divebook :wink:
I was thinkin' the same thing! Just awesome how the 'interuption' made your dive like no other. Welcome aboard dbittner!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom