seafox50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seafox50

New
Reaction score
I am new to underwater activity. I cannot dive deep due to ear problems and so I am interested in SNUBA. I would like someone to tell me how to build an inexpensive unit to support 2 to 4 divers for depths of only 20 feet. I am currently taking a dive class to learn all the safety concerns but I do not think I will qualify for a dive card. I have investigated the Seabreathe and Power snorkel units but they are way to expensive for my budget. I have found bits and pieces on self made units but would like something that someone has put together and used so I do not have to go through the learning stage of what equipmenmt not to use. dhess@us.ibm.com

Hi seafox50, welcome to ScubaBoard. You might get a better response to your questions by posting here
David

Welcome to SB SeaFox. You mention you cannot dive deep due to ear issues, but please keep in mind the greatest pressure change (%) occurs at shallow depths (0-33 fsw). I'm sure you've researched this with a medical professional - but just in case you haven't I would suggest it. Healthy ears are precious.

Good luck in your endeavour!!! :D

Welcome to the board!
I agree with Dive Girl PNW.

Joe

Hello seafox50, welcome to ScubaBoard! As you can see, you've already gotten some great advice from fellow SBers. I agree that you should have the ear problem checked out. If you're in a dive class, is your instructor aware of it? Would be a wonderful thing to get certified, if your ear problem can be cured. Good luck!

Sounds like DIY Dangerous to me, but who knows? You may find that your ear problems don't stop you from diving, tho. If you can clear 20 feet, it often gets easier from there. A good ENT doc could advise you more, but do call Diver Alert Network for a free consultation with the medics there after you see the ENT. 800-446-2671.

:bandit_2: don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

Welcome to the board,

Have you tried long acting decongestants like Sudafed? I'm a Sudafed dependent diver. I am congested all year round due to allergies and therefore had problems clearing my ears when I first learned to dive. With congestants, I haven't had problems ever since.

Greetings from Montreal, Canada

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom