Greetings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have on thent this morning looking for and posting an ad for a RIX 20cfm compressor I have for sale. While I have seen a number of "scuba" groups this one actually looks good.
I am a retired NAUI, PADI. CMOS***, instructor. I have taught in California, Mexico, Carribbean, South Pacific and CENtral Pacific. I have 9600 dives to date, the deepest being 350 ft on standard compressewd air. Major OOPS. Replaced the depth gauge after that one. I was known as one of the toughest instructors ever met. Including my fellow instructors. My belief is that while I believe SCUBA can be a safe sport, it can only be so by have proper knowledge and training. Therefore, if you wanted a basic diver certifiaction from me you had to earn it. Not very popular with the refferal crowd but after working with them, they realized why I was so much stricter than their home based instructor who was always "the best instructor in the world!". Amazing how many of those are out there.
Divng has been a huge source of enjoymentfor me for many years. Even when the visability was a whopping 2 feet, I still enjoyed blowing bubbles. Stress therapy in the islands after teaching/diving all day was go out, sit on the bottom for an hour and just watch he bubbles go up. Underwater meditation. Very reaxing!
Enjoy, dive safe, be conservative, always be thinking "what if my...... failed" what would I do? Take more classes and try to dive with people better than you. A GREAT place for this is liveaboard dive trips. Even if you and your partner have just gotten certified, you will have lots of fun and b aroud experienced divers who will happily show you ll kinds of new things and ideas. Keep learning. Diving is a THINKING sport.
Enjoy,
Mark

Welcome to the board! Ahhh an instructor after my own heart! I floored a nearby diver when I told a noob "you're going to die" if he and his newly certified buddies went ahead with the dive they were planning. They were fun diving and he wasn't sure the plan his buddies were making was within their ability level so he came over to ask his instructor (who was diving for fun with me) for some input. His instructor patiently explained why the dive was a bad idea and we offered to take them on a safe yet still challenging dive instead of doing the dive we were planning for ourselves. His instructor leaned over to me after the kid left and said, "I wouldn't have worded it quite like that." I simply told him, "I call them like I see them and they were going to get killed." I think it took 10 minutes for the diver who overheard the conversation to get his jaw off the ground, he still tells the story any time we're with other people :jestera: (you should hear how big the new diver was now, I think he grew a foot :wink: )

Anyway, welcome to the board! Fill out a little bit of your profile so we can see something about who you are and where you're from when we see you around the board.

Safe diving!
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
Welcome to the board! Ahhh an instructor after my own heart! I floored a nearby diver when I told a noob "you're going to die" if he and his newly certified buddies went ahead with the dive they were planning. They were fun diving and he wasn't sure the plan his buddies were making was within their ability level so he came over to ask his instructor (who was diving for fun with me) for some input. His instructor patiently explained why the dive was a bad idea and we offered to take them on a safe yet still challenging dive instead of doing the dive we were planning for ourselves. His instructor leaned over to me after the kid left and said, "I wouldn't have worded it quite like that." I simply told him, "I call them like I see them and they were going to get killed." I think it took 10 minutes for the diver who overheard the conversation to get his jaw off the ground, he still tells the story any time we're with other people :jestera: (you should hear how big the new diver was now, I think he grew a foot :wink: )

Anyway, welcome to the board! Fill out a little bit of your profile so we can see something about who you are and where you're from when we see you around the board.

Safe diving!

I need to dive with more people like u. most of the time when i try to learn something from a DM I get don't worry about it just follow me. That really irks me. ;( I want and need to learn more. Anyway, nice to hear from u.

Missdirected:
I need to dive with more people like u. most of the time when i try to learn something from a DM I get don't worry about it just follow me. That really irks me. ;( I want and need to learn more. Anyway, nice to hear from u.

Come up any time :) I never use the "don't worry about it follow me." I prefer to give you the important information (depth, temp, hazards, etc.) I have about a site that's unfamiliar to you then make you plan and lead the dive. I even let you make mistakes if they aren't going to get us hurt so you can decide if your idea was stupid or not. Makes you a better dive planner and a better diver :D (My student's have several names for me other than "Ber" unfortunately the filter here won't let me post them :wink: ) When the poo hits the rotating blade and they get through what could have been a bad situation they are glad I'm such a *****.

Ber Rabbit:
Come up any time :) I never use the "don't worry about it follow me." I prefer to give you the important information (depth, temp, hazards, etc.) I have about a site that's unfamiliar to you then make you plan and lead the dive. I even let you make mistakes if they aren't going to get us hurt so you can decide if your idea was stupid or not. Makes you a better dive planner and a better diver :D (My student's have several names for me other than "Ber" unfortunately the filter here won't let me post them :wink: ) When the poo hits the rotating blade and they get through what could have been a bad situation they are glad I'm such a *****.

u know what I would really like to learn - is my dive computer. The manual disappeared so I am clueless about the whole things. So far it has been an expensive waste. Actually today if I can get some time I am going up to this dive shop 2 c if anyone is willing to help me. Grief, I am like willing to pay 2 learn at this point. The dive shop closest to my house has a bunch of people working there - but they don't seem to safe. Anyway, maybe I can learn a little something about it as we r going 2 Aruba Friday morning.

Ohio...I used 2 live there. Cold cold place. :D

Always glad to have another veteran join us, and I really like your attitude... :thumb:

:biggrinba don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

Welcome

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom