Music while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikky

New
Reaction score
First of all.. Hello Scubaboard! :)

I read some of the posts here already. Great forum! Im pretty new to diving but I am completely hooked now. All I think about is when I will go for my next dive. Im in the process of upgrading my gear. Then today I came accross an underwater walkman. Have anyone in here used such equipment before? Are there perhaps dangers to consider? Like your awareness? I found it on a news page and its called H2O Audio DV. Has anyone used stuff like this before? Is it only junk or would it work ok? Sounds pretty cool to me but I would like some opinions before I consider buying it. Im also looking for the webpage of a shop who sells it online. Does anyone know?

If you'd complete your Dive Info and Profile, we could answer you better. :wink:

I would not suggest this to anyone with less than 100 dives - too much to be learning. I would never use it myself, as I want to experience the dive. But then, I enjoy quiet at home, too - never play the radio in the pickup or anything in the house.

:cowboy2: don

Hi Mikky, Welcome to the
logo.gif
!
I'm a :newbie: to diving to. But I don't think I would ever want to hear music under. At least not at this time of needing to learn more and pay attention to what I am doing at all times. It only takes one mistake and you are dead or dying. :wink: Good luck!

Hello mikky and welcome to Scubaboard! I have no experience with underwater music players, but, personally, I'll never try it either. What happens if your dive buddy is trying to get your attention and can't physically reach you? He/she may be banging on their tank and all you can hear is your music. I personally like the sounds of the ocean and the bubbles. My life above water is loud enough.

Just did a night dive at Mermet Springs and they have a underwater sound system that is suppose to be used for emergencies and the such. Well they figured that since it was getting close to Halloween and they carved pumpkins uderwater that it would be neat to have scarey music underwater. All I can say is that it was VERY annoying!!!
I also agree with the safety factor issue.

We just got triple spammed... with one post.

Amazing.

What I like about diving is not only to see fish or other things but to feel sensations you cant experience elsewhere including the sounds and silences of the underwater environnement, different at every site and depth.

But once a year, a dive club around here (Diables des Mers or Sea Devils) organize an underwater night concert in the Memphrémagog Lake. They use the same equipement used for synchronized swimming. This year, I went to the night dive and even though nothing beats the natural sounds, I must admit that I loved the experience and that I would certainly like to repeat it once in a while. The choice of music was relaxing "elevator" type but the sound was astonishing. At 100ft down the wall, we heard the music as or even clearer that in a living room. At 70 ft, while listening to Ave Maria, we aproached two brown trouts sitting on the bottom and I like to think they were captivated by the music because I could even caress them. In fact, they were probably exhausted because they are in their reproducting period but i'll keep my other version since it's more cute.

So even if I wouldn't like to hear music underwater too often, this was a very interesting new experience that I plan to repeat at least each year. If only I could choose the tunes. Imagine Stairway to heaven down there:D :D :D

btw, an underwater walkman (or swimman) would not be as magic as the sound coming from seemingly nowhere so no thanks for me

I would practice with the radio in a pool first ,if your comfortable - why not.You might want to keep in mind that one of the most impotant things to be listening for when you sea diving is the sound of boats overhead. Otherwise in my mind it's all about having fun safely!!!!!!!! Stay safe!!

Welcome to the SB. I personally would not use it. I just want to enjoy the dive for what it is. Diving is like meditation to me and noise from a radio would just be NOISE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom