Hello, New Member Here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I'm Jim T. and have been lurking for awhile now. Excellent forum(s)!
Anyhow, I'm a 53-4 yr. old retired school teacher who just got back into Scuba after an almost 30 yr. break. As it often happens, a cruise ship arranged dive excursion (Grand Cayman) and my first (finally!) tropical/warm water dive got me re-hooked!

I've just enrolled in a dry suit class (mid-November) to see if I can get enthused about the cold waters of Puget Sound. (The cold and low vis. plus the loss of all my gear in a house fire years ago caused me to leave diving originally.)

So...I'm back in now even if I end up saving my diving for warm water travel experiences.

I'll rent for now and try different gear but I'm leaning towards purchasing an Atomic or Scubapro reg. I need to try rear bladder vs. vest style B.C.s more before I decide.

I'm also a sailor (My wife and I sail a Fisher 37 Pilothouse motorsailor up the "Inside Passage" along Vancouver Island every summer.) In retirment I work occasionally as a recording studio session bassist.

Anyhoo, I'm very much enjoying this board, rejoining the diving community and will
probably be asking some semi-"stupid" questions now and again!

Cheers! Jim T.

P.S. My first stupid question already! I own an old Dacor Dart reg. that I probably won't trade in on a Mares (I'm not sure how I feel about their business model right now...) so I wondered if folks thought that once Mares destroys lots of older trade in regs. if my Dart might actually increase in collector's value down the road as there may be even less of them.:D

Welcome from Portland Oregon! Once you get used to the drysuit cold water diving will be fun again!

Welcome back to diving and to the best board on the net!
Ber :lilbunny:

Hi Jim, welcome to ScubaBoard, and welcome back to diving.
You may try posting your reg question here The Sea Hunt Era
David

Welcome to the board!

Joe

Welcome to SB!

Hello Back. Thanks everyone for your greetings and welcome.
I'll check out the Sea Hunt Era threads tonight.

I have an opportunity to do one (last?) wetsuit dive with rental gear at Edmonds Underwater Park (just North of Seattle) this weekend with the local dive club. I guess it'll just convince me all the more to go to that drysuit class the following week!

I just have to decide whether to brave it one more time. After 30 yrs. I can't quite remember how long the wetsuit "what the hell was I thinking" cold feelings last. :11:

The Dive Instructor I've been working with is still in Fiji (poor guy) so I'd be diving with another store/divemaster in at least some current so I'll be weighing that and talking with the shop tomorrow.

I will definitely do the Drysuit Class on the 16th though. I am married to my very best friend- in fact the Grand Cayman cruise was our 25th anniversary trip! I'll be peeking at the singles area though just out of curiousity. It'll be interesting to see how spoonin' is done underwater!

Looking forward to spending more time with you all!

Thanks again, Jim T.

I once took my daughter and grandson on a trip just to see the San Juans. Lovely islands... :thumb:

I doubt that you'll get anything for that old reg, collectors value or whatever, but then - I;m often wrong.

:biggrinba don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom