Boy is diving fun!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

proyce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a new diver. I did my class and pool work here in St. Cloud Minnesota in mid-September and then did my open water certification with Dive Tek in Kona Hawaii. After that I did a shore dive with my sister at Puako on the Kona coast and then we did two boat dives with Big Island Divers - the second one was a night manta ray dive - totally cool.

This past Saturday I was in San Diego visiting my sister and we dove on the Yukon - a Canadian destroyer. Pretty good vis for San Diego - about 30-40'.

Now my wife wants to learn scuba, so we are planning for her to do the pool and class work in March, then open water cert in Cozumel in April.

I have a question: The odds are that we will probably do 1 or 2 warm water dive trips a year, with maybe another to San Diego. Is it worth it to purchase all the gear, or just rent at wherever we go. Of course, this assumes that we aren't bit so bad that we do cold water diving here in Minnesota all summer.

Welcome to the board!
You know what you're getting everytime if you own your own equipment. Knowing your gear is a comfort and safety bonus too.

Joe

Hi proyce and welcome to SB. I have to agree with Joe, having your own gear is a good way to go. And you will want to get more than the 2 weeks a year warm water diving, plan on diving cold.
David

Buy it, buy it, buy it! I love my scuba toys. Welcome to the ScubaBoard

Welcome to the Board.... I think buying your own gear is the only way to go... Also once the dive bug bites you and you take a few dives in the cold with the correct gear.. I bet you'll see its warm and fun....
Best of Luck

Welcome to the board...
I would recommend buying your gear. As said previously, having your own gear brings a piece of mind in the safety department.
K

You might rent your gear locally after test diving it, but I wouldn't use most of the stuff I've seen on my travels. Or maybe buy and travel more. :D

:cowboy2: don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

Back
Top Bottom