What about an older beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gester

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I've wanted to dive since I watched "Sea Hunt" on TV in olden days. So, my question is: What are your thoughts on starting diving at 59?

gester:
Hi,

I've wanted to dive since I watched "Sea Hunt" on TV in olden days. So, my question is: What are your thoughts on starting diving at 59?
i'd say why ask?! have a great time and enjoy yourself... you only have 1 life to live, right?

dive safe and dive true...

Jag

Gester,
I've worked with numerous new divers who are in their 50's and 60's.
If you are in good health, and that's the foremost criterion, go for it.

It's NEVER TOO LATE to have a happy childhood!!!

the K

I started at 52. Would be a good idea to check with the doc and see if any condition you have is not good with diving.

Other than that...get wet.

As a cardiologist and dive instructor, I would recommend a visit to your primary physician and probably a stress test, depending on your current activity level, prior to beginning classes. Then, if it's deemed safe, go for it!

debersole:
As a cardiologist and dive instructor, I would recommend a visit to your primary physician and probably a stress test, depending on your current activity level, prior to beginning classes. Then, if it's deemed safe, go for it!
Just be careful mate and always play safe. :eek:)

hey, why not? I'm 62 and see no reason not to continue ... sure, a bit of asthma, but have had that checked repeated by my MD (who is also a diver), and have neve rhad trouble. The bit about a medical checkout makes sense, but, assuming your GUT is not the size of the GUTS most folk seem to think SCUBA requires (and which it doesn't), you should be good to go!

Back
Top Bottom