We are Newbies to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello from Syracuse, New York, home of Snow and very cold weather! No wonder my husband and I took up a sport that we can use as one of many excuses to go on vacation to warmer climates. We have just completed our classroom and pool instruction and as soon as the snow melts somewhat we will do our open water dives. We caught the diving bug while on vacation in Jamaica at Sandals-Negril. We are currently in the process of researching places to go in Novemeber on our first real dive trip, a place that is new-diver friendly, patient, pocketbook conscience (to a degree), and definitely warm climate. Any help or thoughts that anyone can share would be only too appreciated from us.
We are both very happy to be diving and excited as hell to have found this wonderful web-site to exchange thoughts, ideas and just be around others who share our passion for this sport. Thanks to all who are responsible for this excellent site.

Laurie & Ken

I'm a newbie too at this sport, and the information on this board is excellent. Great people!

As for November, we're going Thanksgiving to the Bahamas. The airfare is reasonable, and there are some great dive spots that have been mentioned. One of the better charter ops according to board members is Stuart Cove's-that's who we're using. They've got a web site http://www.stuartcoves.com.

The Caymans are obviously an excellent choice if you remove the "pocketbook friendly" requirement! We were there last year and loved it. But take lots of $ for food-it aint' cheap.

In any case, have fun wherever you go.

Hi DiverLaurie!
I just got back from Grand Cayman for my first real dive trip and I loved it. The $$ might be a little high, but if you want a place that absolutely caters to your every diving need, check out The Cayman Diving Lodge http://www.divelodge.com/ The only drawback, if there is one, is that if you want a touristy place this is not it. It is for divers that want to be treated as divers. I was brand new at the time, and they were very patient. As you can tell, I can hardly say enough good things about them.

On a completely different note, welcome to the board, and to diving. If you like it now, you will love it after your first "real" dive trip!

dmentia

Hi Diver Laurie,

My wife and I live in Rochester NY. We're Neighbors!
I certified in November In Grand Bahama, The weather and the water were beautiful. We liked it so much that we're going back at the end of April. My wife and son are taking classes now and plan on doing their C-dives there. We're even talking about going back in November. Next year is starting to look like Hawaii.
We stayed at Ocean Reef Yacht Club and Resort.We Own a week there. I do believe they will rent if they have vacancies. But I don't know about cost.
Grand Bahama Scuba is right on site there. We walked from our unit to the dive boat. All of the Staff were great, the resort people, and the dive people.
Here is a link to Grand Bahama Scuba. There you will find a link to Ocean Reef Yacht Club.
http://www.grandbahamascuba.com/index.htm
Tavi

Hello Laurie & Ken! Welcome to the family here at Scubasource!

Though November falls between two different club trips, you might want to keep us in mind for future travel. Here's a link to our upcoming club trips!

Welcome from an "almost" neighbour. Well that's your first clue - how I spell some words. Yup, you got it, I'm form the Great White North. Just a wee bit north of you in Ottawa - but the fact that I get your television station, makes me feel like you're just down the street.

You will have a great deal of fun here, and you'll even learn stuff. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom