Hi all - newbie diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

el_tel

Registered
Reaction score
For an opening question, what do you think is the best dive location in the world? Specifically with regard to wildlife, cheapness, or professional outfits.

el_tel

Welcome to the board.
Best diving location? It depends. For me, it's the Red Sea, especially Sharm El Sheikh and Dahab. Good weather all over the year, superb visibility, tons of fish from different kinds, soft and hard corals, affordable, and many dive professionals with more than 15 years experience in the diving industry.

Greetings and welcome to ScubaBoard!

A recent survey in scuba diving magazine rated PALAU with a perfect score by it's readers.

If i can just find the place on a map > and get some air tickets I am There!

el tel, Glad to have you on the Board!

Cheers

Hello el tel,

Welcome to ScubaBoard. You're going to find a great community here along with plenty of information. Glad to have you!

As for the best dive location in the world. I doubt you'll get a definitive answer. It depends on what your objectives are and where you want to travel. You may want to narrow your destination, then post the question again. You'll get plenty of opinions.

Red Sea Shadow:
Welcome to the board.
Best diving location? It depends. For me, it's the Red Sea, especially Sharm El Sheikh and Dahab. Good weather all over the year, superb visibility, tons of fish from different kinds, soft and hard corals, affordable, and many dive professionals with more than 15 years experience in the diving industry.
Sharm eh?
Good for me as that's where I am now! (at Camel in Naama bay). http://www.scubaboard.com/images/smilies/Standard Smiles/04.gif
Can't sleep. That's why I'm reading posts at 2:30am (Egypt time)
No diving tomorrow tho so I'm allowed to be up late.

gtimm:
Hello el tel,

Welcome to ScubaBoard. You're going to find a great community here along with plenty of information. Glad to have you!

As for the best dive location in the world. I doubt you'll get a definitive answer. It depends on what your objectives are and where you want to travel. You may want to narrow your destination, then post the question again. You'll get plenty of opinions.

Hi gtimm
I don't want to narrow it down cos I'm thinking of my next trip already. Anywhere in the world will do (budget permitting!), but as a newbie I need to dive with a decent organisation until I find my feet (or should that be fins?).
A mate told me that the Red Sea and the Great Barrier Reef are considered the best two, but I've also heard that both have suffered in recent years from the actions of Numptie divers (which I aim NOT to be) and/or inconsiderate outfits (particularily glass bottom boats that feed the fish to make their customers happy).
If you look at my reply to Red Sea Shadow's post you'll see that I'm currently in Naama Bay, but as my first dive location I cannot compare it to anywhere else. Maybe I've spoilt myself...
I do know that I'm not too interested in cold water/ice diving (yet!), but am interested in underwater photography, so interesting sites with good wildlife or wrecks would be a draw for me.
And I'm pleasantly surprised at how quickly I got responses to my post (but then diving is a worldwide community so for some of you guys/gals it's probably 9am). I only casually checked before I went to sleep (it's now 3am in Egypt).
One last thing, why can't I get the bluddy smilies to work?!

el_tel

I think your question is a little big, but you can find all kinds of opinions around here. Enjoy roaming the forums.

:cowboy: don

Welcome aboard!

Personally, I like Fiji but for something a little less expensive, Thailand is pretty cool!

WadeGuthrie:
Welcome aboard!

Personally, I like Fiji but for something a little less expensive, Thailand is pretty cool!
Hi WadeGuthrie

Thailand is on the list, as my mates who are going with me want to get some top-quality, hand-made suits (the business kind!), then the savings (from Lundun prices) can fund the diving.
What about top dive centres, can you recommend any? And what time of year is best (we're thinking about July/August).
Me personally, I don't need any suits. What's the market for European rent-boys like?
I'm just a dive junkie.

el_tel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom