new to scuba, what kinda gear should i get???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aSharkfish

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
hey!
i'm new to scuba (i've always wanted to dive, now i finally have the chance!) and i'm looking to buy some equipment. i've got the snorkel gear, now alls i need is a bcd, computer, reg...yeah, i need a lot of stuff! any advice as to what i should get? i'm not a millionare, but i'm not homeless, either. i just wanna find some affordable gear that won't let me down--i'll probably be underwater as much as a couple times a week, so i want some stuff that'll last!

any help will be appreciated!
thanks!

I have used US Divers gear for years. My current BC is about 10 years old and has hundreds of dives on it, it is actually faded from being in the sun. Look for advice from the instructor you were trained with and see what local dive shops offer. Be sure to shop on-line and if your local dive shop is way too high make them an offer on the gear. I always try to support local dive shops as it is nice to have them in business if you need something quick.

There are alot of quality gear makers on the market, US Divers, Dacor, Sherwood, Tusa just to name a few. Search on google for on-line dive stores, look for gear packages with large discounts, and even look on eBay as you can find alot of new gear listed there as well.

Good luck!

Welcome to the board. You have just asked a very open ended question. You will find as many opinions here about all kinds of gear..... It boils down to personal preference. Take you time and make the choice that best fits you.

aSharkfish:
hey!
i'm new to scuba (i've always wanted to dive, now i finally have the chance!) and i'm looking to buy some equipment. i've got the snorkel gear, now alls i need is a bcd, computer, reg...yeah, i need a lot of stuff! any advice as to what i should get? i'm not a millionare, but i'm not homeless, either. i just wanna find some affordable gear that won't let me down--i'll probably be underwater as much as a couple times a week, so i want some stuff that'll last!

any help will be appreciated!
thanks!
You have a lot to look through with scuba gear, there seems to be a ton of opinions but ultimatly, just go with what is most comfortable. If you cannot try on stuff, I'd go with what is comfortable for most people. If you get a chance check us out.

Jerm

:wavey: Welcome to the
logo.gif
!

You should settle back and do a lot of research here and elsewhere before buying anything...there are forums dedicated to each piece of gear. There is no answer as far as what you should get (except that you should get a backplate/wing instead of a BC :wink:). If there were, then we wouldn't have so many gear manufacturers, you know? :wink:

Welcome to scubaboard.

Just mail me your credit card and I'll take care of it. :D

Or better, help yourself to our Equipment forums. Good to have you with us. :thumb:

:cowboy: don

Greetings and Welcome to ScubaBoard!

On your question on Gear:

Research,Research,Research.

Ask alot of Questions! Then Ask more Questions!

Try test driving/diving some equipment you are interested in at your local dive shops.
(Many shops will let you try gear out in thier pool)

You will find that there is a mind boggling amount of gear choices out there,
so take your time.

Talk to other Divers to see what they are using.
(Find out what gear is working for them and what is not....)

Get the gear that is most comfortable to you + buy what what will work best for you.

*Would recommend you get a pair of very good Dive Fins,
if you do not already own some.

Glad to have you on the board!

Cheers

Shark Fish...........first WELCOME to the world of diving!!!!

You know gear is a very personal thing. I agree with the above comments. Do your research and try on a few things for fit. Ask around. BUT understand we all have our opinions about certain things. While I carry many lines in our shop.......I only dive with one.

Happy Diving

Hi Shark Fish - Welcome to ScubaBoard. Wow did you ever open up a can of worms with this gear thing!!! If you're like me, you'll be attracted to the stuff you can't afford!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom