New South African Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RyanCY

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys

My name is Ryan, and I'm from Port Elizabeth in South Africa. I've just finished my PADI Openwater course, and I'm looking forward to continuing my training as soon as I can afford it.

So thats about it, I just wanted to see how many other South Africans were on the board.

Cheers,
Ryan.

Hi Ryan,

From another South African!

You will find others here:
slipslop
SA-Diver
WICKED_WIZARD
sucker4scuba
Reon Coetzee
whatdecostop?
AndyT
ShakaZulu
(expat in the US)
and more...

Cheers,

Andrew

Hey guys,

Thanks for the welcome.

Laurens: I did try to do all that stuff, but I dont think I was signed it properly so nothing worked.. I think I got it figured out now though. Unfortunately not too many experiences to put into the diving section, but thats going to be changing soon. After swimming with some really massive ragged tooth sharks I am totally hooked.

Andrew: I'm from PE and was wondering, which of Durbs' local dive sites would you recommend to a beginner? I'm contemplating a trip up to Mozambique, but I'd like to get a little bit more experience before something like that.

Cheers
Ryan.

Ryan,

I have not dived Durban sites yet - the Shoal is my dive site of choice (in the immediate area).

The Shoal is do-able as a new diver, depending on the conditions. It is a wonderful site - the comparison has been made that the Shoal is like a game park where Sodwana is like a zoo. You may see lots of pelagics, mantas, dolphins on the surface (even whale sharks) plus there are reef fishes and tons of macro creatures to see. I regard it as a must-dive site. If you would like some recommendations for charters, say the word.

Sodwana is a great stop-off on your trip to Moz. It is stunning - from 2 Mile up to 9 Mile (if you're lucky).

Malongane is my diving base of choice in Moz. I am in a meeting at the moment(!), so I will have to give you more detail later.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Ryan,
I'm not a South African, but wanted to say hi!
I'm from Argentina, in South America.
Cheers,
Karen

Yeah we get a lot of folks from there here. Glad you are...

:cowboy: don

Oooh I wanna do the shark dives there soooooooooo bad!!! But gotta wait on the funds for a while!

Welcome...jump right in!

Ok, thanks for the info Andrew. I can see me getting hold of you for some more info in the near future. I haven't actually signed up for the trip to Moz yet, if I do it will be through my LDS. They work out pretty reasonable charters to Moz and sometimes the Red Sea (slightly less reasonable :p ).

Sorry for assuming that since you were in KZN that you were in Durbs, my bad.

Thanks to everyone else for the warm welcome,

Ryan.

Back
Top Bottom