Cold Water for the frist time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMichael

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I am going to dive in cold water (58-65 F) for the first time and need some advise. I have a 5mm full wetsuit and I am wondering if I should upgrade it with a hooded vest (and a 1-2 mm layer like a henderson microprene or Polyolefin or a core warmer?) (and which hooded vest would you recommend) or should I go for a new 7 mm/semi-dry wetsuit. And if so which one would you recommend? Usually I am not getting cold too easy but I am going on a liveaboard and don't want to risk getting cold.

Thanks for your help and recommodations
ScubaMichael

I reckon I am part Polar bear I dive a 3 mm full suit down to 55 degrees and just add a 3-2 shorty as a core warmer to 45 degrees and below that I dive my 7mm farmer john down to 33 degrees...lol...ar 32 its ice...:)...I would like a drysuit one day but I just really enjoy diving wet

Brrr.... I'll take my 7mm thank you. Stay warm!

I just dove this past weekend in 58 degree water. I wore a 1mm neoprene under a 7 mm suit with a 7 mm hood and a pair of 5 mm gloves and boots....I didn't even feel the coldness of the water until about the last 10 minutes of the dive!!!

Keep yourself warm...there's nothing worse than cutting a dive short due to being cold....(other than being OOA of course!)

I did my OW checkout in 52... (7mm wetsuit, hood, gloves) I'm going to learn drysuit. brrrr.

Howdy and welcome to SB!

A lot of this varies with the diver, but I dive waters on a 3 day liveaboard - 12 dives, down to 50 degrees, in a 7 mil jumpsuit, neoprene beanie & gloves, heavy booties and was fine. If you're younger with good cold tolerance, you might just add the hooded vest to your 5 mil.

Good to have you here. Click here to PM me if I can help you get started in our various forums.

:cowboy2: don

smiley-linie-003.jpg

Thanks for the answer. Which 7mil would you recommend and which 1mil under it. There are pretty good deals on Tilos but there are reports that they are leaking. Any suggestions. Thanks again for the answer
ScubaMichael

I live and dive in the Los Angeles, CA area where our normal dive water temps are normally in the mid to upper 50’s with the occasional journey into the low 60’s for a day or two. My recommendation is a 7mm wetsuit with a hooded vest (minimum 3mm vest and 5 to 7 mm hood). At least that is what I wear here. I was talking to a diver last weekend who dives our waters with a 5mm suit. He recently added a 5mm vest and realizes that he should have gone with a 7mm suit for local diving. Better to be warm, if you get too warm you can always vent in a little cool .

Dry suit would be the best bet, keep you nice and warm. For the repetitive nature of a live aboard, a dry suit would be my first choice, followed by the 7mm wetsuit. With each dive you will lose some core temperature, and then wearing the wetsuit between dives will cool you even more. By the end of the day and the 4th or 5th dive, you may be feeling a bit chilled. Go warm and stay warm. Drink hot water and do not be afraid to sit out a dive or two.

Repetitive diving for days, dehydration and nitrogen loading are a good recipe for DCI. Be careful. Better yet, avoid the risk all together and stay home, I will pm you my address so you can mail me the tickets.:D

Back
Top Bottom