Hello - New to Scuba - very nearsighted!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tealover

New
Reaction score
Hello there - First time on this board - thanks for listening to me in advance!- A good friend of mine who is an experienced diver for 20 years has invited me to learn to scuba and is willing to help me get started and take me on a dive trip, do PADI class etc. I am reading the book now.; Problem is I am extremely nearsighted and with a lot of astigmatism - I wear "progressive" lenses in my glasses and don't really do well with contact lenses. Since this is a visual sport both for enjoyment and safety I need to see under water. What should I do?? Purchase prescription mask? This seems expensive especially since I am not even certain I will be able to do this sport. All suggestions appreciated. btw, my Rx is on the order of -10 diopters - . quite severe.
if you could email me directly also I would be MOST appreciative. email is tealover18@aol.com. thanks!!!!!!

Oh, btw, follow up to the above post - about being nearsighted - i see a lot of places on the internet that sell prescription masks - but from what i read you have to be sure the mask is comfortable - so how could you possibly order something this way??

tealover18@aol.com

welcome to scuba board

Welcome to the board.

Several choices.
1. Get a prescription mask - expensive, but it works
2. Get a prescription appliqué you stick to the lenses
3. There are companies that make prescription glasses that you stick inside you mask, just like the military does with their chemical mask. No, I don't know the name of any, just that I have heard about them and the military has prescription lenses you just mount inside there chemical protective mask.
4. Buy the special mask that is suppose to be really awesome, but that if you have regular vision you have to wear contacts to make you nearsighted.
5. Don't worry about it. Most of the time I can't see 10 feet anyway. I have heard of blind divers before although I will agree I think much of the sport is visual.

I'm not quite as bad as you; only about a -6.5 to -7. I don't use a prescription mask. I find I can see well enough because of the refraction difference between air and water.

Find a mask that fits well and try the class. If you enjoy diving, then get the Rx lenses

Good Luck!

Hi, and welcome!

Well, don't feel completely like the Lone Ranger. I've got about a minus 9.5 or 10.0 (can't remember that high) correction in both eyes, with pretty high astigmatism (seems to be common with high corrections). And now a couple diopters of progressive reading correction in my glasses.

What works fine for me, surprisingly, is off-the-shelf corrective lenses. I managed to find some for my Techni-Sub Look mask here in Europe (identical to the AquaLung Look). They come in 0.5-diopter increments. Couldn't find any other company that makes off-the-shelf lenses in that high a power.

So I'm diving with just spherical correction -- no astigmatism or reading correction.

Several things that I've found:

-- Correction isn't near as critical underwater as it is for me above water. With glasses, an incorrect prescription just drives me crazy.... sphere, astigmatism, or reading. But I've found absolutely no problem underwater. But more... my wife has a mask with minus 5.5 correction in them, that she doesn't use because it doesn't fit. I'd be able to use that in an emergency underwater without too much problem. So that's about four diopters of "forgiveness" underwater... and Garyfotodiver says that six or seven are even doable!!

-- Even with my normal reading correction, I can read my gauges and computer just fine -- again, underwater.

-- These are glass lenses, and they're thick... and heavy. But I've also gotten a neoprene thingy called a Marsoops, in lime yellow... adds just enough bouyancy so that my mask is neutral. If I lose it for some reason, it ought to stay at about my depth until I can find it again. Plus the strap doubles as a protective pouch.

If you can't find off-the-shelf correction in your power, SeaVision will grind you custom spherical lenses for reasonable cost -- on the order of $50 per lens? Spherical would be much cheaper than with other corrections, but everything is possible. Only slight problem is that SeaVision makes their lenses out of polycarbonate plastic. Light, but thick... and they're at least somewhat susceptible to scratching.

Unfortunately, you won't know what kind of correction will work for you until you try out lenses underwater. I was fortunate in that the dive shop I went to let me try out these lenses in a pool... sure enough, I had to go up by a half-diopter, and they swapped them for me.

On the surface, obviously, you'll be blind unless you're wearing your mask. Not a big problem on a boat. But for beach diving, I take along a pair of normal glasses, and stow them in a BC pocket in a neoprene case.

There's absolutely no substitute for trying on a mask in person to make sure it fits. So that's something you pretty much have to get from a local shop. But if you do your homework, you'll know which manufacturers also make off-the-shelf correction for their masks, and therefore which masks to look for. Worst case, you just buy the mask and send it out to SeaVision.

But, hmmm... you're not sure you'll even like the sport.... and even with off-the-shelf lenses, you're talking a mask investment of like $150...

In that case, what I might do if I were you is get a prescription for inexpensive disposable soft contacts, with just a spherical correction. They'll drive you crazy above water, but should work just fine underwater. Who knows... they may work fine for you for diving, forever!

--Marek

Howdy and welcome to SB!

Oh boy, don't put your email on a public forum. Good luck on your training.

Good to have you here. Click here to PM me if I can help you get started in our various forums.

:bandit_2: don

smiley-linie-005.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom